Best of all books on Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
I think that "Titanic: An Illustrated History," is the best overall book on Titanic. It's very comprehensive, easy to read, and of course, is beautifully illustrated. Most everything the average Titanic "buff" needs to know is covered in this book. It's the type of book which, after reading it once, you'll constantly come back to. Further, after reading "Illustrated History," one acquires a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the subject area, and can choose to focus on particular aspects of the disaster, and do further research, thereafter. Unlike "Night To Remember" it deals with all aspects of the disaster, and unlike "Triumph, Tradegy," it is much more enjoyable as a reading experience. I highly recommend it.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Joe:
This book has often been on sale for $4.99 over the last year or so at the local Border's and every time it is, I buy at least a dozen copies to pass along to friends, relatives, and anybody that seems genuinely interested in Titanic history. You're right, it's very enjoyable to read and re-read.

Mar 13, 2000
mr herbold and mr shomi i have the book and i agree with both of you it is a wonderful book it has amazing details and amazing pictures i think its the one book all titanic buffs should have thanks jennifer mueller

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I agree, "Titanic: An Illustrated History" is one book everyone interested in Titanic's story should own.
Don Lynch truly tells the full story of Titanic in a concise and straightforward manner. He involves the reader in the events of the tragedy without including too much detail.
I also was glad to read about the lives of some of the survivors after the disaster, how their lives were affected by it.
My interest in Titanic was regenerated after the ship was found in 1985. "Illustrated History" gave me a better appreciation for the full story as well.
To anyone who purchases this book at a discount, now $4.99, you have obtained a true bargain.

M

Martin Dawes

.....always assuming that you don't believe that everything that Lynch writes in it is true or has been researched properly.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Amen to Martin's remark. Lynch is pretty good, but don't believe him on anything involving Californian. If you want more that pretty pictures, get hold of "The Ship that Stood Still" as an antidote to Lynch.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Did I miss something?
Was May 1st Jump on Don Lynch Day?

He writes while all we do is read.
And criticize.

Research is a slow and often thankless process, and the books and articles that I've read of his show an amazing amount of depth and detail.
You may disagree with him about his interpretation of the Californian incident, but that's a difference of opinion.

It bothers me to have someone sit on the sidelines and smuggly say "don't believe everything that Lynch writes." I don't believe everything that anybody says, but I do appreciate good research and good writing. What have you written lately?

Mar 10, 1998
I don't feel as though Don Lynch needs any defense from me but did want to add my 2 cents. Heretical though it may seem in Titanicdom, I would rather read his book any day over A Night To Remember and others. In my opinion it is by far the most riveting, well-written tome published on the subject. Even though I had read "one or two" books prior to its publication, when I picked it up to start reading about 6 P.M. one night in 1992, little did I know I would be up until I finished it the next morning at 3 A.M. It is true that there are errors--but that is true in all Titanic books. Overall, when I encounter someone who wants "to start learning" about Titanic, I always refer them to Illustrated History first. (And, like Playboy--it ain't just for the pictures!)

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
I totally agree! Don Lynch is a thorough historian and as we all know, history is in a state of flux. Things change all the time.

Don has indeed written a wonderful and riveting book and a more than complete grasp of the tragedy that occurred.

by the way...I am coordinating a conference in Chicago this July 21-23rd coinciding with the Titanic Exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry there. Don Lynch will be our guest speaker. This conference will be based both on the historical ship as well as the 1997 film.

Anyone is welcome to attend! Don will be accompanying us to the Titanix Exhibit, making a presentation and taking questions as well as dining with our group. For registration information please see the link below!

www.qcvineyard.org/c2k

http://countingdown.com/c2t

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Mickeh!

I read that you got a lot of copies of "Titanic: an illustrated history". Sadly it's almost impossible to get that book here in Portugal so I was wondering if you could get me one and send me. Of course I will pay you. If you can please contact me directly.

Thanks a lot!
Katia

Pedro Soares

Jun 28, 2000
Portugal
Hi Mickeh!
Could you send me a copy of "Titanic:an illustrated history"?
You know, here in Portugal Ihave no means of getting it. All my "material" on Titanic was bought while I was in England and I couldn t find it. Please leave your answer here. I would appreciate that. Of course I will pay you.

J

Joanne Whilden

Does anybody know of a list of Titanic books based on facts, and on survior accounts? I have some,but I am always on the lookout for new facts and information and wondered if there was a list somewhere that tells what the books are. Thanks-joanne

Pedro Soares

Jun 28, 2000
Portugal
Well Mike, since I didn`t get an answer from you,(but I`m not angry, I understand you, I really do) I ask again if you could send me a copy of "Titanic:an illustrated history". I understand it can be very suspicious me, from Portugal, asking you. But I have been dreaming with that book since it was written and there`s no way of buying it here in Portugal. Besides, my parents don`t allow me to buy it on-line. I can pay for it, of course. Independently from your decision, please reply to my e- mail, or here, if you like. You can see my profile in the "Introduce Yourself" section. At least I get a new Titanic friend.
Thank you very much for your attention.

Pedro Soares

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Pedro:
I sent my last copy to Katia Lamy. Does she live anywhere near you? Maybe she could loan it to you.
Best Regards,
Mike Herbold

Pedro Soares

Jun 28, 2000
Portugal
Ok Mike, thank you very much anyway. She lives about 400 kms from me, but hey, it`s just not my lucky day. But thanks for your attention.

Best Regards,
Pedro Soares

Logan Geen

Dec 2, 2001
This is a GREAT book. I was disappointed with his findings on the Californian issue but otherwise there is nothing I can complain about. Definately first class!

May 4, 2002
hey guys n girls

i want to know a. what is evry1s fave titanic book
mine is Titanic an illustrated history

2. where the nearest train station is that goes to essex
thanx
slightly demented jack

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Being a techie, my favourites are Birth Of The Titanic as well as Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy. The latter is good for some really in depth history as well. As a general resources, both of Walter Lord's books as well as Titanic, An Illustrated History, and Maiden Voyage are tough to beat. For about the only really in depth treatment of the inquiries, Wyn Craig Wade's The Titanic, End of a Dream is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.