Best Shipwreck Photo

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
What do you guys think is the best photograph taken of a sinking ship? Also, how do you add images to your posts? Well, here's a color photograph of the Andrea Doria sinking. It's not the most dramatic photograph and I'm sure there's photographs better out there

Here's the link:
http://www.andreadoria.org/8AM/Andrea_Doria_morning.jpg

I look forward to seeing what you guys think is the best photograph of a sinking ship.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The series of over a dozen photos of the Vestris in the process of rolling over.

Princess Sophia up on the reef a close second.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
There are several excellent shots of Yarmouth Castle burning, as well as some color home movie footage. Will post some related images later today.

Apr 11, 2001
"Floundering" is just exactly right, Greg- amazing but also tragic photos. Haven't seen anything like this since the Life magazine photospread of the Doria.

Apr 11, 2001
Can someone tell me what happened to the Galileo? I took a cruise aboard her in 1986 when she was under the Chandris flag. I hope nothing as dramatic as Britanis.

Apr 11, 2001
Found it- wow, another disaster. Fire the culprit-
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/ChandrisGalileo.html

I wonder if there are more photos of the fire other than just the one at the bottom of the page above. What an odd feeling to think the place where one once sat and dined is at the bottom of the sea. She had such a beautiful silhouette and graceful bow. I recall having to board her off New London at night- she could not get into the harbor so they lowered her lifeboats and ferried us all out to her anchored offshore. It was my first cruise and to be boarded under floodlights at night, entering the ship through hatches in the starboard side was quite memorable. The diningroom staff was all Italian, and I so enjoyed discussing the good old days of the Italian Line with the waiters. I had a copy of Passenger Liners of the World with me, and the waitstaff would positively shriek with excitement when we turned a page and one of "their" beloved ships would appear. Wish I had thought to record their reminiscences at the time. One waiter had been on the Doria. There was such obvious affection for certain ships that one would have thought it was a person. The book found an appreciative home in crew's quarters!

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
It must be quite odd to go on a cruise ship then later on to hear about it sink! Wow, what an odd feeling that must be! It's amazing what can happen every day. Were there any casualties on the Galileo? How long did it take the Galileo to sink?

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for the link Kyle. I would like more info on the engine room fire. I took many photos of her fittings back in '86, especially the woodwork, and I remember many. many layers of varnish on all the wood, and thinking what a fire hazard it could be at the time. According to the links above, nobody was lost on the Galileo. Yes, I am beginning to wonder about my luck-another ship I sailed on, the Island Breeze also sank. Maybe I should take a bus.

Apr 11, 2001
Am now trying to confirm Island Breeze sank while being towed from Bahamas to the breakers-this is all I could find, she was one of two chartered ships which went to retrieve the "Big Piece" back in 1996.
Transvaal Castle. Built for Union-Castle Line, she was delivered on 16 December 1961. She operated as Transvaal Castle until sold to Safmarine on 1 January 1966, and renamed S.A. Vaal. She was resold to Carnivale Cruise Lines in 1977 who renamed her Festivale. They sent her for a refit which altered the ship considerably. She re-entered service in 1978. She operated for Carnivale until sold to Dolphin Cruise Line in 1996 and renamed Island Breeze. Dolphin amalgamated with Premier Cruise Lines who then marketed her as Big Red Boat III. Premier collapsed in 2000 and she was laid up at Freeport in the Bahamas. In April 2003 it seems as if the end was near and she commenced her final voyage to the breakers in May. She was finally beached at Alang on July 13th 2003 Name sequence: Transvaal Castle, S.A. Vaal, Festivale, Island Breeze, Big Red Boat III, Big Boat.

B

Brent Holt

I actually think it is quite fitting that the old Britanis went to the bottom on her way to the breakers. (& the Constitution) It was like she was laughing at them. Instead, she got a "Viking's funeral".

Brent