Betty Greitzer

Oct 25, 2005
Hi Everyone!

I'm delurking at long last to join in the fun. This is a terrific web site, and I've been enjoying the give and take as well as the range of topics you cover.

I've been away from Titanic for a while, after serving as one of the midwives for Titanic International way back when. I was one of the founding mothers of the organization, as well as treasurer, attorney and resident scold. Like many of you, my interest in the Titanic goes back many years, in my case to fifth grade when I read "A Night to Remember." My strongest interest is in the lives of the passengers and crew, particularly after the disaster.

I'm an attorney currently in private practice, but striving mightily for a new job! I live in New Jersey, approximately 20 minutes from the site where the Morro Castle came to rest in Asbury Park. I'm an absolute fiend for old movies, especially musicals; amusement parks; American history; the New York Mets (my boys!); historic preservation; antique shops; and classical music. I *do* think "Some Like It Hot" is the funniest movie ever made, but "The Magnificent Ambersons" beats "Citizen Kane" every time.

Glad to see old friends here, and hope to make new ones--
Betty

Dec 2, 2000
Welcome Betty.
Love the classics, be they movies or musical pieces or art. It is wonderful that you have such a great long history with Titanic and have found the group here. You will be such a great asset to our little band of researchers and just having fun types.
Look forward to seeing your posts.
Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Betty!

Welcome aboard! You have quite a history with the Titanic and it's good to hear from you.

I'm also a fan of classical music. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Best regards,

Jason

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Betty:
I am original member of TI. Have heard good things about you from Shell. Hope to see you on the board.
Mike

Apr 11, 2001
Yippee! Hooray! Bang the drum-clang the gong -sound the trumpets!! At LAST- I KNEW the Funnel Flicks would GETCHA in the end! Welcome at last amiga- Stand by for some GOOD times and pithy postings ,dear hearts. Halleluia-leapin' lizards and Jumpin' Jehosaphat! Glad y'all have seen the light Sister.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Betty!

And welcome aboard! I have already 'met' you on the funnel and flicks thread and glad of it. I, too, besides having a passion for Titanic, am also an old movie buff (I mean that phrase in EVERY sense of the word). Also, since you mentioned Amusement parks, I worked at AstroWorld here in Houston for 7 years, back right after it first opened, '69 - '75.

Look forward to your posts.

Best regards,
Cook

Oct 25, 2005
Wow! Quelle welcome!!

To Michael, Maureen & Jason--so glad to find other classical music lovers. On my darker days I think we're a dying breed!

To Bonnie-Lynn--as we know, the only sure cure for fuzzy lollipop-itis is a saxophone player. I'm still looking!

To Mike P.--I remember you: weren't you one of TI's first 100?

To Shelley--yup, ya got me at long last, sister!

To Pat--cool! Have you seen the Defunct Amusement Parks site? http://www.defunctparks.com/

Thanks for the warm & fuzzies!!
Betty

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Betty, and we may not be the dying breed that you think...ah...I hope. If some of the rock I've suffered through is the wave of the future, then somebody please shoot me now and get it over with. ;-)

Mozart rules!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Oct 25, 2005
Michael--Mozart does indeed rule, and I'll give your regards to Don Giovanni at the Met on Saturday. Brahms ain't too shabby, either!
Betty

Oct 25, 2005
Michael--Forgot to add that I see you're a cat lover. In that case, my four felines, Pepper, Nicholas (named after Nick Charles), Jake and Roger also send their regards--
Betty

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Betty, Tomfoolery, Chleo, Penny, Samantha Grabfoot, Divertimento, Sonata, Mamacat, Ohbee,Feather, Tinker and Callie send theirs. Ever hear A German Requiem? A choir I served on did that one. Rather a treacherous peice, but even more challanging was Handel's Massiah that we did for both Christmas and Easter.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Oct 25, 2005
Hey Michael--
Love the Brahms German Requiem--had the great pleasure of hearing it at Carnegie Hall several years ago. I think it was one of the last performances the great Robert Shaw conducted in that house.
BTW, that's some cat line-up you have--do they get along OK, or do you have to act as referee? It's taken my brood two years to settle down to a reasonable state, which in their case means no more than 2 yowlers per day (I don't even bother to count the hell-for-leather chases or the "I don't like your face" swats anymore!). I love cat stories as much as the Titanic, the Mets and Verdi, so all you cat-lovers, feel free to jump in!
Betty

Dec 2, 2000
Have performed with groups doing the Brahms as well as the Handel piece. Performed Beethovens's Ninth at Constitution Hall with Antal Dorati and have also done Orff's Carmina Burana. But as an individual, I have done everything from Mahler's Kindertoten Lieder to Summertime.

I love cats
happy.gif
and I miss mine.
Maureen.

Oct 25, 2005
Maureen--I take it you're a mezzo, since you've done Kindertotenlieder? I heard Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau perform it with Bernstein & the NY Phil many years ago--nothing quite like it. I finally heard Carmina Burana live not too long ago--what is it like to sing in a cast of thousands? What a catharsis! BTW, that tenor solo--what's his top note? Sounds like a falsetto E above the staff. I've never been able to find a score for the piece, and inquiring minds need to know!
Betty
PS--Where are your kitties and how do you make that smiley face?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Betty, our cats get along just fine for the most part. There are some of the usual screeching contests, but it's not as bad as you might think. Callie was the last addition and it took her a couple of months to be accepted. I think a part of that is because when confronted by anybody trying to crowd her, she goes on the offensive and doesn't back down.

I was able to practice German Requiem with my choir, but missed the opportunity to perform it because my ship was going to Gulfport Miss. to pick up some hovercraft and ferry them to Assault Craft Unit Four back in California. I did get to do Rutter's Requiem the next year though. It wasn't quite as treacherous to learn as A German Requiem, but it had it's moments. Us tenors started calling the Angus Dei the Agony Day ;-)

If I can ever get involved with a choir again, I'd love to do all of Handel's Massiah. My group in San Diego only did selected parts appropriate to the season.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
Betty,

To make smiley face type a colon and immediately type a right paranthesis. When you type it on this board it will come out that way after the system fiddles with it a bit....that works.
happy.gif

Yes, I am a mezzo and I do not remember off the top of my head but recordings can be about a whole pitch higher than the actual event as played, but I will check my music and get back with you on that over the weekend. The Orff piece was a real bear to learn and to practice, but was wonderful to perform. our group did an African piece at the Garden with many african instruments it was great. I have sung a Russian piece by Tschaikovski entitled in English - In Midst of the Dancing. It was wonderful in russian and deep feelings.

Michael, sounds like you have quite a great experience yourself! Only a few groups do the whole Messiah, but it is wonderful to do.

Have a great day.
MAureen.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Mo, the only group I remember doing the whole of Massiah was a choir at a church I was a member of in Ventura when I was stationed at nearby Port Hueneme. I wasn't able to participate in that one as I was working a strange shift and couldn't get to practices. The hell of it is that I couldn't read music notes all that well. In San Diego, this wasn't a problem as the choir was a large one, and the director was very good at running a practice and making sure everybody got it right. I have a very good ear so I can memorize what I need to.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
Some people who have a good ear are worth their weight in gold to a director thna the ones who can read music and sing out over everybody...that really messes with the blending. So reading music is not all that it is cracked up to be. You sound like you were a very valuable person for your group and they probably missed you as much as you did them!
Maureen.