Big Mistake in The Night Lives On

Mar 15, 2001
I remember reading this book several years ago and at the end of the book he talks about all the survivors he knew. He mentions Ruth Blanchard and states that he didn't get in touch with her during his research for A Night To Remember but since then has had the pleasure to meet but unfortunately that she is now gone. What I would like to know is why did he say this if she was still living in 1986 when the book came out and did not pass away until 1990? Has this been addressed on ET?

Rachel Carter

Mar 23, 2008
Hi, Darren -

Just a thought, but is it possible you have a later edition (if there were any later editions of this particular book)? I have my genuine 1986 copy in front of me, bought by my mother when it came out, and I can't find any mention of Ruth Becker-Blanchard's death. Of course, I may not be looking hard enough, or in the right place, but all the same...

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
On page 254 of the Penguin paperback, Lord describes events just as Darren wrote. I guess Lord is allowed a mistake.

Rachel Carter

Mar 23, 2008
Ah! You all are correct - I missed the crucial word "gone" at the beginning of the paragraph.

Well, then, excuse my mistake. Best wishes!