Big Piece in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Seems the major C deck portion of the Big Piece is now in Los Angeles..beleive you me its an amazing thing to behold...a true piece of the great ship.
Conservator Joe sembrat did a phenominal job conserving the piece..I remember the days when it arrived in Boston, when it was still caked with rust and smeared with paint ..

..presumably the smaller D deck portion is in the Oaklahoma City exhibit..

check out the current Big Piece photos on the bottom of this Titanic buff's site..

http://home.earthlink.net/~rbtb9/index.html

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

Thanks for posting that link. That guy has even got recreated interiors of the Titanic in his own home! Wow!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Aug 4, 2001
Hi Jason,

I feel a bit lost here so please tell me, when was that piece recovered? I remembered at one point that they failed to bring it all the way to the surface it just fell back to the ocean.

Obviously I'm behind in that story and would love to know more.

Thanks a lot.

By the way, will you be going to the exhibition in L.A.?

Regards,

Dom

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Dominique!
There was an attempt to raise the Big Piece in 1996, but it was dropped..an expedition went back in 1998, raised it, brought it to Boston, and its been on the road ever since...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Steve Smith

Dec 14, 1998
That link is great, Tarn...

The guy is one SERIOUS Titanic fan. I'm surprised he hasn't sign up here yet...

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
NEWS NOTE: If anyone is interested in winning an advance admisssion to the Exhibit, check out this site: www.latimes.com/titanic.

Of course, I entered my name, this morning.

Deadline for the advance admisssion contest is February 3rd.

There is an add for the Exhibit, along with a listing for the California Science Center website (which includes ticket ordering information), on Page E62, of today's Calendar Section.

I also saw a few ad links on the latimes.com website.

John Clifford

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Need to clarify: the ad for the Exhibit is on Page E62, of today's Calendar Section, of the Los Angeles Times.

John

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Dominique,

Tarn beat me to it!
happy.gif
Actually just to add what Tarn said, the piece was lost in 1996 because of bad weather. It was within 200 feet of the surface when they lost it.

I might be able to visit the exhibition in L.A., since I'm going to try and be there for the Queen Mary event at the end of June. Are you planning on visiting the exhibition as well?

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Aug 4, 2001
Hi jason and thanks for the info. I wish I could go to the exhibition but I'm afraid L.A is too far from Montreal, not this year anyway. I've been spending my money buying too many steamship postcards.

But who knows, perhaps the big piece will travel around and come near by, like Toronto or Boston. Then I would definitely go because it's closer. Seeing that piece up close must be quite a feeling . Have a great trip if ever you go.

Take care
Dom

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
The way Mr. Hamill stated that he thought someone would stop him from just walking up to the big piece and touching it almost gave me chills.
I can see myself in that same situation, I wish!, and how exciting it would be to run your hands across it!!
Thank you Tarn for posting it!!!!
-Don

Jan 7, 2002
Hi everyone! Thanks! Thought youd all like that link. Jason, have you been to a Titanic exhibit since working the Toronto exhibit? I may be in LA on Feb 10/11, and if so, will pay a visit..it will be the first Titanic exhibit Ill visit where I was not on the staff...It will feel odd Im sure..

Tarn Stephanos

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

I haven't visited a Titanic exhibit since working on the one here. There hasn't been any that have been close enough to get to.

I'm sure that visiting the exhibit and not being on staff, will definitely feel weird.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

J

Jacquelyn Shay

Hi Everyone! I recently went to the exhibit at the Detroit Science Center. It was great to see artifacts from the Titanic but I can't help being disappointed that I can't see all the artifacts that other exhibits have. Will all the artifacts eventually be housed together?

Thanks,

Jackie

Jul 12, 2003
Jackie,

I hope they are housed together some day. It only seems right. But I guess it is a good thing the exhibit is split up so it can travel to more cities. maybe what I see here in LA will come to Detroit and what you see there will come here.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.