Big U Saved

J

Joshua Andersen

When is work supposed to begin on the Big U. Is there a schedule set yet at to what has to get done and when.

A

Alex McLean

Great photos, Steven. I am so happy that the United States will be saved. The last thing I wanted was for her to slip away without me getting to see it. Thanks NCL!

C

Chris Mazzella

Does anyone know if there is working being done on the U or when work is scheduled to begin?

F

Frederick Rueckert

As soon as a US yard accepts a bid for hull and engine work, an expensive task. Foreign yards are usually cheaper in this aspect. I spoke to a rep at the yard in Phily, and they seemed not interested in the task.

T

Tarn Stephanos

This is great news, though i suspect the funnels will go..Perhaps a pipe fiurther aft, and a lounge/funnel in place...
Is her hull really sound enough to go back into service?

Tarn

T

Tarn Stephanos

Any guesses as to when the United States will have her second maiden voayge?
And will she be on the trans atlantic route?

Tarn Stephanos

Brent Holt

Brent Holt

I expect the Big U's hull is in very good condition. She was built to Navy standards with a welded hull.
I would be surprised if her funnels are not a part of the rebuild. They are very distinctive and powerful looking.
I just hope they keep the superstructure and just add on to it. I am worried they will cut it away and build anew from the hull up. My hope is that they would just renovate the current superstructure, add a deck or two, and reconfigure the stern with pools. In addition to the interior changes, of course.
This plan would still leave a recognizable classic liner, with modern refinements.
Brent

T

Tarn Stephanos

I have worked on Boston Harbor boats for a few years, and know if a boat or ship is out of service even for a couple years, extensive work needs to be done before its ready to reenter service.
The United States is an enormous liner, and has been out of service for over 30 years- unless she is totally gutted and rebuilt, I dont see how she could be restored to service...

Tarn Stephanos

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Gutting won't be much of a problem as it's already been done. I've seen any number of photos of empty spaces with just about everything in sight removed. This included the bridge where all the furnishings and equipment have been removed so all that remains are bare steel and foundations. The problem with being laid up as she was is that the United States ended up becoming a giant bin of spare parts and equipment for anybody who needed it.

D

Deborah Kogan

I went over the bridge from Philadelphia to Camden today, and the United States is still in its usual spot, tied up on the Delaware in South Philly. I wonder when it will be picked up by NCL?