Bill Harder and Harold Phillimore

• Thread starter vanessa beecham
  • Start date
V

vanessa beecham

Hi there
i am new to this site so thought I had better introduce myself.I am Vanessa and I had a great uncle who drowned in the diaster. He was Edward Charles Biggs a fireman aged 21.
However I have recently discovered ( I am a family historian)that I also had a great great uncle who survived the diaster,yiphee, he got off in lifeboat 14 and he was a window cleaner called William Harder. Basically I know next to nothing about him, I know he was not called to testify at either enquiry,so if anyone knows anything atall I would be delighted to know. Thanks Vanessa nee Biggs Southampton.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hi Vanessa, Welcome aboard!!!

The only thing I found on William Harder was on this site Click Here You may have already checked this out, but if does have a picture. And here is the bio of your great uncle Edward Charles Biggs

I don't know if this is any help. Again welcome aboard, This is an awesome site.

-Trent

V

vanessa beecham

Hi Trent
thanks for responding, yes I had checked out William's details on this site and to have a photo is great, I guess I shall have to carry on digging here in Southampton.I am fortunate in that the library here has a huge amount of stuff kept in the archives, it's just a question of finding time to visit.
Vanessa.

A

Ashley Jean King

Hi my name is Ashley
here is a tiny bit of information
He was 39 years of age and lived in Winston street Southampton.

A

Andrew Williams

Hi Vanessa,

First, welcome aboard on this famous Message Board Vanessa!

I actually live in West Wellow ten miles away from Southampton. I was just wondering if you might have known that another Crew under the name of Phillimore also survived. Phillimore was rescued by Lifeboat Number 14.

Dare I ask those question's? Did you at any stage Vanessa get a chance to interview Edward Charles Biggs?
Also, do you know if there's any relations who are still alife today and could give an in-depth discussion on what they inherited?

My reasons for asking is that I aim my research directly on the Titanic's Crew, more so on the Southampton connection.

I hope you will be happy with this great Community of friends and I can only speak from experience and assure you Vanessa, because they are a great bunch of people to know.

Regards-Andrew Williams.

A

Andrew Williams

Sorry Vanessa, I didn't read your post properly as I'm trying to wake up after my forty winks. I will be honest, I am not a morning person!

What I meant to say, did you have any success in finding the relations to William Harder family?

Andrew W.

V

vanessa beecham

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I have been very busy and yes I am happy to report that I have found and am in contact with William's grand-daughter.In fact his youngest daughter is still alive but sadly does not know very much as he never talked about his experience, I wonder why!!!!! other than to say it was his first time at sea and his last! He was after all a window cleaner.Anyway I am shortly to meet with my newly found relative so am very excited.
Vanessa.