Biographies and autobiographies of Cunard White Star Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
I have often wondered what biographies and autobiographies have been published during the years, written by or about Cunard / White Star captains or crew members.

Three come into my mind right away:

- J.G.P. Bisset's trilogy
- Hayes: Hull Down
- Beaumont: Ships and People

Do you know of any others?

Best regards,

Kalman Tanito

B

Brian Hawley

Also look for Grattidge "Captain of the Queens" which is a great read. Others I might suggest are Diggle "The Romance of a Modern Liner" which is about the Aquitania, and Commodore Robert G Thelwell "I Captained The Big Ships".

Brian

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Here are a few more:

Violet Jessop's autobiography

A Million Ocean Miles by Sir Edgar Brittan (The Queen Mary’s first captain and commodore of the line)

In Great Waters by McNeil (Captain of the first Mauretania in the late 1920’s. He was in command when she tried to regain the Blue Ribband from the Bremen.)

The Queens and I by Geoffrey Marr (Last captain of the Queen Elizabeth. Probably the best book of the lot. It gives super insight into the QE's time in Florida and her voyage to Hong Kong.)

The Sea, My Stead "by" Donald Sorrell (A Cunard captain in the mid-1950s. Definitely a favorite captain among the Cunard crewmen I've spoken to. This was written posthumously.)

The Sea, My Surgery by McGuire (A surgeon on board the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth in the 1950s.)

Noticeably absent from any list is a biography of Captain Treasure Jones, the Queen Mary's last master. When I asked him why he never wrote a book, he replied: “Who’d read it?”

Eric Sauder

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Sorry, I forgot one....

Queens' Company by Donald MacLean. (A Cunard commodore in the 1960s. This book was released as The Captain's Bridge in the UK.)

Eric Sauder

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
And one more to be added from the original poster :) :

R.H. Arnott: Captain of the Queen (QE2 captain)

Kalman Tanito

Status
Not open for further replies.