Bit Of Help Please And Thank You

Nov 11, 2005
I am trying to find (much to my frustration) articles/information on the following:
Information regarding
Sofia Markkula(lost/body found) and her children, Aino(lost), Toini(lost/body found)Arvo(saved)and Eero(lost),
and about the list of victims found after the disaster and about the burials.
I have found only pieces of these burials, and it is not giving me much information.
Please help me with this if anyone can get me any of the information.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Hildur,

Mrs Sofia Markula, aged 40, was the wife of Frans Markula, and was travelling with her children, Arvo, aged 14, Eero, aged 10, Aino, aged 6, and Tonia, aged 2, from their home at Pioneer Avenue, Negaunee, Michigan, to Helsingfors, Finland to live. Mr Markula was a cobbler and shoe repairer, and planned to join his family in a few months.
Mrs Markula had emigrated to Canada in 1906, with her husband, who found work in Negaunee as an iron ore miner.
Mrs Markula made a return visit to Finland in 1909. She and her children, Einari, aged 12, Arvo, aged 10, Eero, aged 7, and Aarne, aged 3, returned from Hanko, Finland, on the Polaris, on March 16th. They travelled to Liverpool, England, where they boarded the Empress of Ireland on March 25th. Mrs Markula had been staying with her father, Mr V. Pultanen - at least that is how the immigration authorities recorded it.
Only Arvo Markula survived the sinking of the Empress of Ireland, although the bodies of his mother and sister, Tonia, were recovered from the water after. Arvo returned to Negaunee on June 3rd.
Hope this helps
Craig

Nov 11, 2005
So Sofia Markkula had all these children : Einari, Arvo, Eero, Aino, Aarne and *Toini*?
Tonia is Toini, according to the few sources i found, and it is a Finish name, Tonia is not.
So where were the other children: Einari, and Aarne? Would they not have been 17 and 8 years old? It would be understandable if Einari had found his own way in life, but young Aarne should still have been with her.
Is there any information on the bodies/recovery of Sofia and Toini? And of the afterlife of Mr. Markkula, Arvo, Einari and Aarne?

Thanks for the info, it does help alot.

Jan 5, 2001
Sorry Hildur, but at present I can't add any more than I posted this morning. The Empress is not the easiest of wrecks to research, and very little is known about many of the passengers on the final voyage.

Good luck with your search
Craig

Nov 11, 2005
Thanks for the information you previously gave me. Hopefully i can find a bunch of links and information, and i will post it, for others to read. I do find it interesting that so little seems to be known about this ship. I mean, Titanic, is HUGE around the world, and you would think what with the large amount of fatalities on Empress and Lusitania, they would be more popular.

Well, anyways, thank again.
Hildur