J

Jose Rivera de Cosme

Yes just one, a man from Haiti with his French wife. Can't remember the name right now.

Joannie

Mar 7, 2000
True or false? Louise and Simonne had black
skin,but not Juliette because she was born in
Paris.
Thank you and good luck!

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

The children were mulatto, having characteristics of both races. Their skin wasn't as dark as Joseph's (who doesn't appear to have been very dark) and wasn't as pale as Juliette's. I'd compare their complexion to those of Asian races.
Chris

Robert Davis

Mar 30, 1999
Dear Joannie,

Mr. Joseph LaRoche is black and he was born in Haiti, his wife Juliette is white and she was born in Paris. Their daughters Louise and Simonne had black skin but they were biracial.

Robert

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

For some reason my post got chopped, weird.
I'll go for another shot:
The children were mulatto, having characteristics of both races. Their skin wasn't as dark as Joseph's (who doesn't appear to have been very dark) and wasn't as pale as Juliette's. I'd compare their complexion to those of Asian races.
Chris

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

From photos of the Laroches as well as from other people I've talked to who've met or done further research on the family.
Chris

D

Daniel Rosenshine (Danielr)

I'd say that Mr Laroche was black and his wife white, but their daughters' skin was somwhat of an oriental complexion.

A second class passenger referred to them as Jap(anese) girls who looked like dolls. There is an excellent biography on the Laroches in Judith Geller's book, "Women and Children First."

Daniel

E

Elaine Barnes

I remember reading somewhere that a rumor persisted that a famous black athlete, a boxer perhaps, was on the Titanic. This rumor was dispelled because it was said that there were no black passengers. It was only on this web site that I learned that there were black passengers aboard.

Elaine

Linda

Feb 8, 1998
Jack Johnson is the famous black boxer. There been speculation that Jack Johnson attempted to gain passage aboard the Titanic but was refused by a ticketing agent. The story is untrue.

This information is on this website:

G

glester

Were there any black crew members or passengers on the Titanic and were can I find a listing of them ? Are there any surviving Black family members or friends ?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The only black on board was Mr Joseph Laroche of Haiti. You'll find him on this site among the second class passengers.

N

Nicole Jones

Joseph Laroche was on the Titanic with his wife Juliette and their daughters Louise and Simonne. They were second class passenger. Juliette was born in Paris. There are more information on this website -

and there is a book about them, "Women and Children First" by Judith Geller.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mark bray

I just read the book, Nicole was talking about.....it was a good book. It has a picture of the family in the book. Hope that helps you.

Mark : )