T

Torpie

The Laroche family is the only ones i believe,i could be wrong,they were :
Joseph Philippe lemercier Laroche,age 25 father
Juliette Marie Louise Laroche,age 22 mother
Louise Laroche,age 1 daughter
Simonne Marie Anne Andree Laroche,age 3 daughter
Mr Joseph Laroche did not survive
they were Second Class Passengers From Paris,France. Ticket number SC/Paris 2163
you can find the bios on this page.
i found a story on them as well as some photos in a book called :Women and Children First. Regards,Jimmy

N

Nicole Williams

Leroy,

Go to Closed Threads, click on "Black passengers" April 4 and Passengers and Crew Research Forum, click on "Ebony Magazine" June 26

Nicole

J

jon delong

you say there was only one black person on board . would not the children have been considered black in 1912 . this mite have something to do with why she went back to france.and in the US at that time her marrage would have been against the law so her children would have been basterds

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Jon,

I'm not sure about that. It could have something to do with different laws in Europe and America, but I know for example that all the children from mixed couples in Dutch Indonesia were considered as almost 'white' when their white father recognised them. However I don't know if this was also the case with a white mother.

countess

Apr 25, 2016
Good day all.

Just found some interesting facts that not only one black man was onboard the titanic.... But two.

The second black man (which no one really knows about)??? Was a boxer in Liverpool that fought a fight in Liverpool in 1911 ?(I even think he held English citizenship ?) in 1912, he tried to purchase a first class ticket on titanic but was denied because he was a black man, he then purchase a second class ticket. (Maybe he was traveling to the US to fight a boxing match in the US?

Did anyone know of this black boxing man? And if so, why isn't he documented like the black French man? Or is it an hoax story?

You can find YouTube video talking about this black boxer who boarded the titanic. It's called "Illinois titanic survivor & blacks on RMS titanic"

Thank you all.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This sounds like a reference to the myth that the black boxer Jack Johnson was refused passage on the Titanic. This is a story often repeated on websites, and has no evidence to support it. In fact Johnson was at that time organising a prize fight in Las Vegas. And the White Star Line had no racial policies - no questions were asked about a passenger's ethnicity and many were not even seen until they turned up to board a ship. The Line would have been happy to have Johnson on board. He was doubtless not too popular in the segregated American South but in Europe he was a man that everyone - even the King of England - was eager to meet.

Linda Walker

Jul 6, 2010
websites: 1. Titanic Anniversary Sheds Light On Passengers Of Color: Who Were They? | Huffington Post,
2. Titanic mystery of playboy solved by old photograph and 3. thetruthaccordingtotrey: There Were Black Passengers on the Titanic? Who Knew?!

There were 4 black passengers on the Titanic: Joseph Laroche, 26, a Haitian-born, French-educated engineer who was moving back to Haiti because he could not find work in his profession and his two daughters. They were biracial (half black / half white). Victor Giglio, the son of an Italian father and Egyptian mother. He was a valet to Benjamin Guggenheim.

Joseph Laroche, Victor Giglio and Benjamin Guggenheim died in the sinking of the Titanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissBostonTrack
Dec 28, 2016
Wow. I I knew about the ONE Haitian born passenger, but I had no idea, there were four black passengers on the Titanic.

May 3, 2005
In reference to the Jack Johnson myth, there was a song- "Titanic, Fare Thee Well".
One line is something to the effect that Captain Smith says " I ain't haulin' no coal ! "

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
From what I know, Joseph LaRoche was the only Titanic passenger who was obviously black.

I am interested in knowing if his wife - who survived the sinking - or any other survivor alluded to how he was treated on board? I mean, in the dining room, library and other public places. Was there any hint of prejudice by fellow passengers or crew?