Blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
I'm not going to bother to work it out but I'd bet it was already daylight in Liverpool at the material time.

I don't know where that would leave whatever it was you - presumably - read.

Jun 11, 2000
Guys, guys. The light condition of Liverpool at the time of the sinking can hardly be of much importance.

Liam, you are asking some fairly peculiar questions, which will make members wonder about your motives.

Noel, please be more forbearing of juvenile posters.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
quote:- "Noel, please be more forbearing of juvenile posters".

Perhaps he's like me, Monica, got a touch of the Victor Meldrew's

Even Michael's patience has been strained on occasions and that is saying something.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Really Monica, would you have me be anything other than my usual abrasive self?

Actually I do check out posters’ profiles before loading a round into the breech, so to speak. There’s nothing on Liam’s profile that tells us he’s a ‘juvenile’ (other than his style of writing, which is hardly conclusive nowadays).

It would help if youngsters would post their ages or dates of birth; that would go a long way towards triggering our characteristic forbearance!

However, I now know that he has volunteered elsewhere that “im only 16 and still in school!”

Now I don’t know about you Monica but I would expect the average 16-year-old at least to have noticed along the way that (the full benefit of Galileo’s posterity notwithstanding) the sun does appear to go round the earth near enough seven times a week.

Noel

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
LIVERPOOL IN DARKNESS

Shortly before nine o'clock last evening the entire electricity supply of Liverpool failed suddenly.

The streets were plunged into darkness, electric [tram]cars came to a sudden standstill, and all social life was held up.

It was fully three quarters of an hour before normal conditions were restored.

(Daily Sketch, Tuesday April 16, 1912, p.4)

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
So Liverpool was indeed a blaze of light (be that day or artificial) at the precise time Titanic foundered.

I earlier thought it politic not to mention that I suspected Liam was one of Senan's cyber-reincarnations.

Now THAT'S forbearance...

Noel

M

michelle rowlett

I for one hope this young poster carries on posting! We all have one thing in common here and thats our huge interest in TITANIC. Some people sound a little to up themselves here !

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It would help if youngsters would post their ages or dates of birth; that would go a long way towards triggering our characteristic forbearance!<<

However, that's not something ET encourages. While it would be nice to know more about some of the young 'un's here, the problem is that if they reveal too much about themselves, they become obvious targets for internet predators. (And I don't mean aggressive debaters either.) That's why we don't ask them to reveal too much about themselves.

Reactions: 1 user

liam forber

Mar 8, 2006
'Liam, you are asking some fairly peculiar questions, which will make members wonder about your motives.'
i like asking question what are not ordinary

Jun 11, 2000
So, Liam... you are being looked after by Mike and all us Mods, and other members. So could you change all those questions?

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Liam, I think what Monica is implying but is too nice to spell out, is for you to try asking some intelligent questions.

When I joined a ceramic study society many years ago, I bought up every back number of their newsletter so that when I went into print, I would not give the impression of being a total numbscull.

By the same token it may be worth your while to spend a bit of time searching through the existing threads which will provide you with an awful lot of information.

If the Moderators consider what I have said to be unsympathetic or unhelpful then I am quite happy for my comments to be removed.

J

Jon Meadows

I don't think that's very nice, Ernie and Monica. Maybe there's a backstory here, but from the surface, he's a 16-year-old who asked if Liverpool had a blackout at the time the Titanic took her final plunge.

Intriguing thought...true or not.

And I'm not sure why it was met with such hostility.

Jun 11, 2000
Well, Jon, I don't think it was hostility as such. More bewilderment. Why should the light conditions in Liverpool have any bearing on conditions thousands of miles away? They aren't connected - are they? Not rationally, at any rate. If you do think they are connected in some non-rational way, then you can discuss this in Spooky in General Titanica.

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
FAILURE OF THE LIVERPOOL ELECTRICITY SUPPLY

Last night at about 9 o'clock, the Corporation supply of electricity failed in Liverpool. The whole city was in darkness for twenty minutes, and the tramcars were stopped for over half an hour.
The cause is stated to be due to a breakdown at the generating power station.

(The Times, Tuesday April 16, 1912, p. 10, Col. F)

* The next month the Bootle Corporation accepted the tender of Messrs A. Reyrolle and Co., of Hebburn-on-Tyne, for the supply and erection of high and low tension switching gear.

It may be that the blackout was simply caused by excessive demand and the failure of predictive planning and pre-positioning of adequate plant.

This has of course happened in recent years in New York (subsequently blamed unfairly on Canada) and London.

The populace in both cases also initially wondered whether there was a connection with a recent disaster - albeit one involving "man-made" massive loss of life through the evil of Al-Qaeda.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
"The populace in both cases also initially wondered whether there was a connection with a recent disaster - albeit one involving "man-made" massive loss of life through the evil of Al-Qaeda."

But not, presumably, to the foundering of a passenger vessel in another time and place.

Why the Donald Duck are we all here?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Why the Donald Duck are we all here?<<

Something about supposedly spooky coincidences with blackouts that turned out to be not so coincidental. Liverpool had a power failure, but it was a brief one and it was all over with long before the Titanic even met the iceberg.

So much for spooky coincidences.

May 1, 2004
Hi Jason and Senan,

If you mean the blackout of August more than two years ago, I thought that it was New York's transformers that overloaded and blew, causing ours to go in a chain reaction.

It was a very long walk on a very hot day. Still, it was nice to see the stars and not to have the highway lights shining through my window.

Status
Not open for further replies.