Blowing up history

May 27, 2018
Australia
Hello! this is my first post but I have been skulking around on here for awhile researching. I just caught an episode of 'Blowing up history' about the Titanic's sinking and was curious if anyone has seen it and your thoughts on the matter?

Cheers
Shannon :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

coal eater

Mar 1, 2018
titanic did not blow up at all,when ship broke in half there was two boiler rooms with still steam pressure they were boiler room 2 and 3 and when ship broke in two water rushed into compartments with boiler room 2 and 3 still under pressure water most likely caused strong geyser of steam and coal lumps and it errupted from second funnel,.

i have done some technical experiments regarding this,long water drain pipe,stuffed with piece of paper and ignited it then quickl put the pipe upside with burning paper down,i could hear roar from that pipe,it was like cargo train with iron ore load.. it lasted as long as fire was ongoing,whe poured the water from top to extinguish fire i got single horrible sound,i had to dry the pipe and put more paper and ignite it from top then again hold pipe vertical and listen to sounds, roar was stronger so i threw in grill coal from top right into burning paperand waited 4 minutes,it started go red after two and bottom of pipe was changing color,eventually started to heat up so could see effects of high temperature,at this point i poured water from top and had to run,there was roar again but non-specific burst of steam and smoke but no coal lumps pipe was red hot at bottom.

i think this what could have happened inside boiler room 3,on wreck images take closer look at boilers from boiler room 2,they are still in ship and visible damage on them,they are little imploded. but boielr room 2 was aligned to funnel number 2 not 3 and only sparks smoke/steam and coal was shooting from boiler room 3. perhpas all boilers in boiler room 3 were lit to maintenain pressure for dynamo and pumps while boiler room 2 could have one or two boilers lit so not eoungh to cause reaction like this also there is no sign of explosio in remains of boiler room 2 indicating that these boilers were very good constructed and only thing happened to boilers is small deformations but not total destruction.

of course this is not real fact,we can only speculate what could have occured in the boiler room 3,as for looking at boiler room 2 remains we cant find any explosion proof at all,probably boilers in boiler room 3 also did not explode but we have no solid proof that they did not explode or they did explode all we can do is just speculate,without expedition to these areas we cant find facts,problem is this area is in poor condition so expedition to boiler room 3 would never happen.

TLDR is easy - titanic boilers did not explode.the flooding boilers under pressure caused steam to go throught funnel eventually taking coal with it.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
@coal eater I think you have misunderstood. Though I haven't seen it myself, I think "Blowing up history" in the title quoted above, is used to mean the photographic "Blowing up" as in to make bigger to enable something to viewed more clearly. This isn't a discussion about whether the Titanic blew up in an explosive way.

Nov 14, 2005
Thanks for the heads up on this docu Shannon. Will look for it. The Discovery Channel makes some really good shows. One of the few channels I watch anymore. Yes Rob you are right about the show. Modern day forensics applied to history. Blowing up History

May 27, 2018
Australia
Sorry if I didn't write it clear, it's basically about taking a closer look at what happened. I found it interesting but they didn't really come to any conclusions that we probably haven't heard before. They had a simulator though to try different things, which was interesting to see.

Nov 14, 2005
No, what you wrote was ok. You said blowing up history not blowing up Titanic. That show seems to be only for UK and Australian markets. It doesn't seem have to have aired on US markets. It looks like a good series.

May 27, 2018
Australia
Thank you, Steven! I just happened to catch it last night and by luck, it was the Titanic episode, but I am keen to watch the episodes to see what else they go into. My luck is still going as another documentary about Titanic is coming on later, this one called '20 Years After Titanic' and it's James Cameron going into the still lingering myths of the Titanic, not sure what it's like but I'm going to give it a go :)