Blueprint Help

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

I am undertaking a huge project involving the Titanic and I have hit some snags in identifying some of the rooms, not passenger cabins so much, more crew areas.

Usually I can figure these out on my own, but I have been plexed with some posers.

First, in the Forecastle on C Deck just behind the Hospital there is a small square room with writing inside, but I cannot decipher it although Shipbuilder plans list it as Galley Storage if anyone knows what this room is, please contact me here or in private.

Second, also in the Forecastle on C Deck there is a long, small rectangular room in the Seamens Mess, there is also writing here, and I read it as "CREW BREAD LOCKER"? as stated above is anyone knows what this room is please contact me.

I know that the C Deck private bathroom layouts are nearly all wrong on the ET plans. I have corrected the aft bathrooms and the middle baths seem to be fine, however the forward baths are all wrong - does anyone know what the correct layout of these room should and where the cabins were joined etc.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Brian,
the folks at the TRMA (titanicmodel.com) just finished a huge project by creating a comprehensive, detailed reproduction of Titanic general arrangement (GA) plans. Their site is down at the moment, but they were offering the plans at a reasonable price. I saw a sample of the detail they put into the plans and they are amazing - it appears from what I've seen every room on the ship is identified, and as near as can reasonably determined, given furniture arrangements.

For what it's worth, the available plans I have of Olympic and Titanic label that room you mentioned as a galley storage for the crew galley across the passageway as saying such, from my observation.

Also, having read the room with what you say is the crew bread locker, I looked at the plans I have and that's what it appears to say...

I am looking at the Titanic March 1912 passenger plans at the C-deck bathrooms. What plans are you looking at, besides the ET plans, which you've concluded are in error?

I don't know if the GA plans the TRMA are offering now will be of any help to you. When they're back online, you might wish to check them out. A detailed, accurate GA plan of Titanic is something that would be valued by the Titanic researcher, and from what I've seen, they've delivered...

My .02

B

Brian R Peterson

>Dan,

Thanks for your input, I thought that was the Crew Bread Locker but I wanted a positive ID before I labeled it as such.

The room I label as the Galley Storage appears to be that as well, I later saw this when I looked at the Shipbuilder plans.

I conclude the C Deck bathroom layouts on the ET plan are wrong from not only my own observation but Parks' own words in post as well, while the forward bathrooms are in the correct places, the doors and arrangements of the bathtubs and lavs are not, that was my question.

My sources are The Shipbuilder, a scanned and greatly enlarged plan from the Marriott book, and other snippets that I find online and in other books that show the areas I need.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

I found out that the C Deck forward bathrooms were one room with no cross passage or stall for the toilet as ET shows them.

However, I am confused as to the identity of a far aft cabin. There are five cabins at the very aft end of C Deck down an enclosed hallway, I know these are all crew cabins and I know four of them, port to starboard they are Chief Steward, Restaurant Manager, Assistant Doctor, -B.RM- and Doctor, I do not know whether the B.RM designated a bathroom or another bedroom, as it also has B.RM with the Doctors cabin I would think it was a bedroom but I am not sure. Anyone who can help please reply.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dec 7, 2000
Brian,

B.RM would stand for bedroom, since the doctor had a separate bedroom, and the next room was his office, or consulting room.

As for these plans, I recommend them as well. A lot of work went into them in an attempt to make them as accurate as possible. New corrections I guess (as they do) will always come up, and I assume these will be taken into account and corrected (or new info added) for future printings of the plans.

As for the bathrooms, see page 94 of the Shipbuilder for the fore C deck plan, it was the same for Titanic. The aft bathrooms were the same on Titanic as in the Olympic plan in the Shipbuilder as well.

Daniel.

S

Scott R. Andrews

For those interested in getting a glimpse of the general arrangement plans which have been discussed in this topic, TRMA's webmaster Sean has gotten the home page up and running temporarily at the following address:

http://host315.echo-host.net/~titanic/

As I understand it, this is courtesy of our friends over at the Debris Field:

http://www.modelship.info/phpBB2/index.php

To Christian, Scott, Mike and Arjay -- thanks, guys!

Sean is in the process of transferring everything to a new server. According to Sean, as soon as the site's regular domain names find their way through the internet, the main names will work once again but this may take few days.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

S

Scott R. Andrews

"...Well, looks like the site is back up and running..."

Hi Dan,

Yes it is! After fighting what turned into a losing battle to get the site's web hosts to resolve the problem, Sean decided that a switch to a new server was a better solution. I hope this host has a better handle on customer service and problem resolution!

Scott Andrews

S

Scott R. Andrews

Sam,

They pretty well cover the entire ship, stem to stern and keel to truck. Every space on every deck from the tank top on up is covered. The machinery spaces and holds are covered in more detail than I've ever seen on any GA. As far as the frequency of updates is concerned, it's too soon to say - they've just been released for the very first time.

Scott Andrews

PS - Congratulations on your article - great job!

Dec 7, 2000
Samuel,

Just my thoughts on the updates. I doubt these would be updated frequently at all. While it is true that something new is being discovered every so often, it will probably not be major enough to be indicated as a new feature on the plans. These plans are the result of many years worth of research. Not everything is know about every room on the ship, and only a handful of the rooms have been left blank (i.e. no furniture indication), but with the level of detail for so many other rooms on the ship, you would hardly notice the few blank rooms.

Regards,

Daniel.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
I witnessed those plans come together month after month. Thousands of hours of work have gone into their making.
They are absolutely brilliant.