Boarding procedures

Charles

Charles

Ok you guys are all wrong! The D Deck first class entrance was used! I know that from Ken Marshalls paintings and other resources.

Charles

Charles

I mean, you guys forgot about how the passengers got on Titanic at Cherbourg and Southampton.

Ken Marschall's painting shows that passengers disembarked off the Nomadic and boarded onto a gangway that lead to the D Deck entrance

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

Never mind about how people got on board. The formalities are more important.

For migrants, the first step was to undergo a basic medical check. Those who passed were given Inspection Cards, stamped by an official from the US consulate in Southampton. These were for the guidance of officials in the USA. A few cards still exist.

Passenger tickets were very large pieces of paper. I don't have exact dimensions, but they were well on the way to A3. On the right edge was a detachable strip. The names of passengers covered by the ticket were written on the main part of the ticket and also on the detachable strip. On the front of the ticket was a small sticker, printed in red, that drew attention to conditions printed on the back of the main part. These conditions amounted to "You're on your own and White Star is not responsible for your safety." They would be looked at hard in the civil courts.

The tickets were not transferable and so Jack and Fabrizio could not have used the tickets won from the Swedes. Nor could Richard Sturges have bought a ticket from an emigrant as in the 1953 movie.

On boarding, the detachable part of the ticket was removed and kept in the purser's office. They were used to make up a passenger list. The passengers kept the main part, which amounted to a contract document. No Titanic tickets survive, but a few unused White Star tickets exist. One of the little stickers exists, having been saved by a passenger who cancelled.

In passing, there are quite a number of fake tickets about. They are nothing like the real thing, having been made for things like theatre restaurants where customers play the roles of Titanic passengers. Most date from the 90s.

H

Harland Duzen

Does anyone on this forum definitely know which side of Cherbourg Titanic entered and left by? All photos that exist are either taken from either land or the sea wall making it impossible to tell which way she was facing.

Any Help or Knowledge would be very useful.

R

Robert T. Paige

Would a ticket be something akin to today's boarding pass ?
Would you have to have a ticket to get on one of the tenders at Cherbourg or Queenstown ?
Was boarding only on the one hour or so before the time of sailing on the day of sailing and not before ?

Last edited:
R

Robert T. Paige

Also in real life, could Richard Sturges have purchased a First or Second Class Ticket at Cherbourg ?
Titanic was far from "sold out."

R

Robert T. Paige

The question about boarding time was in reference to
Southampton ?

Are boarding times the same today ? For Queen Mary 2 at New York or in England ? I have wondered if it might be possible to board on an evening before the sailing date ?

Last edited:
Brad Rousse

Brad Rousse

Hi all,

What was the boarding procedure for first class in Southampton? In particular:

-How would you approach the ship?
-How would the ticket be checked, and by whom?
-Would you then simply board through D-Deck at that point?

Appreciated!

I

Ioannis Georgiou

1st class were able to board the ship via the gangway doors on D Deck or B Deck.
The Tickets would be controlled by the purser & his staff as well the chief stewards. People had to go to the purser office.

Not sure what you mean with approach the ship. If you mean how they got to the dock, some come over with the boat train, or with a car/carriage or tram & feet depending what class (or crew) and from where they came from.

Brad Rousse

Brad Rousse

I knew that about B and D Deck. Could you choose or did it depend on the ticket?

So, if I understand you correctly, you could approach the ship on foot from Central Road, you would board the ship, then go to the purser's office on C Deck? I assume stewards would be there to direct passengers?

Finally, were rooms assigned before boarding, or as the passengers boarded?

I

Ioannis Georgiou

You would get the room when you buy the ticket.

The boarding though B or D Deck was optional, it seem it depends more how one arrived at the dock. 1st class passenger Francis Browne (who became later Father Browne) came with the boat train and used the gangway getting aboard on B Deck. Stewards would lead the passengers to where to go and bed stewards would bring them to their cabins.

Brad Rousse

Brad Rousse

You would get the room when you buy the ticket.

The boarding though B or D Deck was optional, it seem it depends more how one arrived at the dock. 1st class passenger Francis Browne (who became later Father Browne) came with the boat train and used the gangway getting aboard on B Deck. Stewards would lead the passengers to where to go and bed stewards would bring them to their cabins.
Appreciated, Ioannis.

One more thing... Queenstown... there were a few first class passengers boarding there as well. Would they all board through E Deck regardless of class and the first class passengers then shepherded up to C Deck?

Brad Rousse

Brad Rousse

I might have more questions for you and the others... I'm a long-time Titanic buff (see my join date) but I'd like as much of the history around the sci-fi novel I'm doing set aboard to be as right as possible... I hope my admitting for the reason for asking hasn't soured you (it did with TH&G).