Boarding procedures

May 3, 2005
The question about boarding time was in reference to
Southampton ?

Are boarding times the same today ? For Queen Mary 2 at New York or in England ? I have wondered if it might be possible to board on an evening before the sailing date ?

Last edited:

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Hi all,

What was the boarding procedure for first class in Southampton? In particular:

-How would you approach the ship?
-How would the ticket be checked, and by whom?
-Would you then simply board through D-Deck at that point?

Appreciated!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
1st class were able to board the ship via the gangway doors on D Deck or B Deck.
The Tickets would be controlled by the purser & his staff as well the chief stewards. People had to go to the purser office.

Not sure what you mean with approach the ship. If you mean how they got to the dock, some come over with the boat train, or with a car/carriage or tram & feet depending what class (or crew) and from where they came from.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
I knew that about B and D Deck. Could you choose or did it depend on the ticket?

So, if I understand you correctly, you could approach the ship on foot from Central Road, you would board the ship, then go to the purser's office on C Deck? I assume stewards would be there to direct passengers?

Finally, were rooms assigned before boarding, or as the passengers boarded?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
You would get the room when you buy the ticket.

The boarding though B or D Deck was optional, it seem it depends more how one arrived at the dock. 1st class passenger Francis Browne (who became later Father Browne) came with the boat train and used the gangway getting aboard on B Deck. Stewards would lead the passengers to where to go and bed stewards would bring them to their cabins.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
You would get the room when you buy the ticket.

The boarding though B or D Deck was optional, it seem it depends more how one arrived at the dock. 1st class passenger Francis Browne (who became later Father Browne) came with the boat train and used the gangway getting aboard on B Deck. Stewards would lead the passengers to where to go and bed stewards would bring them to their cabins.
Appreciated, Ioannis.

One more thing... Queenstown... there were a few first class passengers boarding there as well. Would they all board through E Deck regardless of class and the first class passengers then shepherded up to C Deck?

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
I might have more questions for you and the others... I'm a long-time Titanic buff (see my join date) but I'd like as much of the history around the sci-fi novel I'm doing set aboard to be as right as possible... I hope my admitting for the reason for asking hasn't soured you (it did with TH&G).

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I'm afraid not. There are dozens of people who claim some relative missed the ship but they are not documented. One genuine case was Rev J S Holden, who decided not to go at the last minute. He kept a little sticker off the front of his ticket as a souvenir and it's to be seen online.