Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
What did you mean with "splashed down"? If you meant "made sure the boat was lowered safely and gently into the water without a splash", that was Moody indeed.
Moody seemed to be mostly on his own at boat 16, he was assisted by Murdoch at the other boats he launched.

Loutino

Oct 21, 2015
Well, I didn't know how to say in english "zwodował", because english isn't my native language and I forgot the word "launch". Sorry. And thank you.

George Jacub

Sep 28, 2005
The more I research the movements of the officers from the lowering of the aft boats to the sinking of the Titanic, the more I discover that Fifth Officer Moody has been shortchanged by history. He played a much bigger role than the books give him credit for.
He not only lowered No. 16, but No. 14, too. Lowe was in the boat, but Moody was the officer on the boat deck in charge of getting the boat safely to the ocean. (Wilde had been there in charge of the loading of the three aft port boats, but he was gone by the time Moody and Lowe decided between themselves who would stay on the ship and who would go off in a boat.) And Moody very probably lowered No. 12, as well; Lightoller never claimed he lowered any aft boats and the window of his departure from No. 12 to the time he started loading No. 4 is so tiny that it makes sense only if someone else handled the lowering of No. 12.)
Before arriving at No. 16, Moody was spotted at the aborted loading of No. 4, ordering a sailor to take charge of No. 9 and helping load No. 13 at A deck. He likely helped load No. 10, since he was the only officer around there until Murdoch arrived to take charge. And he was actively trying to get Collapsible A ready for passengers even as the ship sank beneath his feet. He must have been totally exhausted and unable to withstand the freezing water for long.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
[Moody] was the only officer around there until Murdoch arrived to take charge.
I'm still confused if it was Wilde or Murdoch at boat 10. But no record of Moody being there. I read research saying that the other officer at boat 10 was most likely Lightoller.

Regarding boats 14 & 12, I have multiple other sources: both of them list they were lowered by Wilde & Lightoller. I have also some mentioning of Moody at boat 14, but that's it.

Something else:
Lightoller never claimed he lowered any aft boats and the window of his departure from No. 12 to the time he started loading No. 4 is so tiny that it makes sense only if someone else handled the lowering of No. 12.
There is a 20 minute gap between the launch times given for boats 12 & 4. After launching boat 12, he had 20 minutes to go forward and load boat 4.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I do not believe Murdoch had anything to do with boat No. 10. The only one who claimed that Murdoch was there were Buley and Evans and both also claimed Murdoch was at No. 12 which was not the case.
It was Wilde. Lightoller was there too but mainly left the lowering to Wilde.

George Jacub

Sep 28, 2005
There is a 20 minute gap between the launch times given for boats 12 & 4. After launching boat 12, he had 20 minutes to go forward and load boat 4.

Hi Christophe. Could you specify where you get your information on launch times?

When you examine the timing of the (likely) movements of the officers aboard the Titanic you find Murdoch around Lifeboat No.2 when he's sent to check on an aft boat. Steward John Hardy saw him go:

Senate Inquiry:
Mr. Hardy
"I had great respect and great regard for Officer Murdoch and I was walking along the deck forward with him and he said "I believe she is gone, Hardy," and that's the only time I thought she might sink---when he said that."

clip

Senator Smith
Where did he go then, do you know?

Mr. Hardy
He was walking toward the afterpart of the deck. That was before all the boats had gone.

Senator Smith
He superintended the loading of the boats?

Mr. Hardy
Yes, sir; he went to see if a particular boat was properly manned.

Lo and behold, seamen Evans and Buley, fresh from lowering No. 12, see Murdoch at No. 10. Coincidence? Murdoch helped load No. 10 until Chief Officer Wilde arrived and he was freed up to go to Collapsible C. Wilde finished loading and lowering No. 10 while Murdoch did the same at C.

Ioannis, when you say Wilde was at No. 12 are you referring to the period when he was loading the boat with Lightoller and Clench?

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
It's odd that both Evans & Buley identified the officer at boat 10 as Murdoch, while Joughin identified the officer as Wilde. All those crew members came from the Olympic, so they should be able to distinguish Murdoch & Wilde.
Evans & Buley were both talking about "Chief Officer Murdoch" all the time. Murdoch was (probably) wearing a chief officer's uniform causing this confusion.

I never heard before that Murdoch was ever involved with Emergency Lifeboat 2. It was lowered at almost the same moment as boat 10, and one cannot claim Murdoch was at both boats at the same time.

I mostly support Ioannis' launching sequence (the only one which takes Titanic's list in consideration for every boat), and I also use Wormstedt's paper on the launching sequence, but only as a second opinion.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I don't think it is available in a single document. The original German publication is available in the Titanic-Post ( TiPo ) of the Titanic-Verein Schweiz, issues 82 to 93. An English translation is available somewhere, but I can't recall where. Also in the English translation, it's separated over 10 issues.
I copied the launching table to an article on Fandom: Powered by Wikia. Next to it is the launching table from Wormstedt and the one from the British Titanic Inquiry.
Lifeboat launching sequence

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I copied the launching table to an article on Fandom: Powered by Wikia. Next to it is the launching table from Wormstedt and the one from the British Titanic Inquiry.
Lifeboat launching sequence

Thanks for it! :)
It would be good if you could point out that the table with the ship list is done by me.

The English version was in different issues of the Atlantic Daily Buletin from the BTS. I was thinking to put an updated version online but haven't come to continue the work and unsure where to publish it.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Thanks for it! :)
It would be good if you could point out that the table with the ship list is done by me.

The English version was in different issues of the Atlantic Daily Buletin from the BTS. I was thinking to put an updated version online but haven't come to continue the work and unsure where to publish it.

Publish it on this site. I've yet to be able to read it & am anxious too.

AlbertoM

Aug 11, 2015
Spain
Publish it on this site. I've yet to be able to read it & am anxious too.
Yes please! I have also been looking for that series of articles, Ioannis, but I've been unable to find any recent issues of the Atlantic Daily Bulletin for sale. It would be great to read it here!

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
The only thing that may be incorrect on that page is the table of 'launched by these officers'. I did say there was "very little disagreement about which officers launched which lifeboats", but apparently there is. I'm going to move this to a separate heading.