Boat 5 or 7 first

Will Kulhmon

Mar 6, 2007
Chicago IL
In Lowe's testimony during the U.S. inquires he states that he first went to lifeboat #5. Then in Britain he states that the first boat he went to was #7 then he went to #5. So which is it then? I'm almost inclined to think he first to #5 first but I have been proven wrong before. Can anyone please help me?

M

mark garfien

hello, mr. Kuhlmon
if I had to take a guess, it would be Life Boat "7", becuase it was the first launched, and becaused bot were lanched on the starboard side, and because murdoch was heard saying "good bye- good luck", to thisrd officer pitman @ boat 5

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'm inclined towards Boat 7, then Boat 5. In addition to the British inquiry testimony, he repeated that he helped load Boat 7 first in two additional sworn statements. In what I believe is possibly the last formal statement he is known to have made, Lowe mentioned going to the port side briefly after leaving his cabin, seeing the boats were being attended to there, then crossing to starboard to work at 7.

The US inquiry testimony is the earlier evidence, so one is inclined to give it more weight, but I suspect that he had made a simple error in recalling the succession of boats lowered.

Will Kulhmon

Mar 6, 2007
Chicago IL
I see I was wrong. I thought it was #5 because the US inquiry was first. The memories would have been fresher in his mind then in Britain. Thank you everyone for your input.