Boat 6

• Thread starter João Carlos Pereira Martins
  • Start date

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

A thing that have always intrigued me is the boarding of the third class man in this lifeboat. How did he do that? Jumping from the A-Deck promenade windows (I suppose they were closed)? Lightoller would never allow a male passenger in this boat (excluding Major Peuchen), primarily in this case, a passenger from below decks. So, how was it possible?

Thanks, João

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Hi João - Some books have put him as a stowaway; others put him in a more honorable light. According to the latter, Captain Smith grabbed him and shoved him into the boat to help with the rowing. Needless to say, this version is a bit strange.

He's also generally mistakenly been put as an Italian rather than Lebanese.

J

Hi Brian - nice to run you!

Well, this story is very strange:

1) How and why would he stay in the boat deck, in an area reserved for first class passengers?

2) If the Captain's version is real, why didn't he pick a first class gentleman instead of a passenger he didn't even know?

3) On the starboard side, some testimonies informed us that some men had to leave the boats after jumping, because Murdoch shooted to the air. On the port side, with Lightoller's obsession for "women and children first", why wouldn't he demand someone to grabb him out of the lifeboat?

Is there any resource I can look up to understand better this mysterious episode?

Best regards, João

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Sorry to ignore you, João,
I guess I haven't checked this thread lately.

I don't think we'll ever know the answer to these questions, since I don't know of any account left by this man (keep forgetting his name).

Regarding question 1) Good question about how this third class passenger found his way up top so early in the sinking. First-class survivor Marian Thayer, if I'm not mistaken, insisted that she spotted third class passengers as soon as she emerged onto the boat deck. Other accounts (and the lists of who went in which boat) paint a different picture.

2) If the story of Captain Smith shoving him into the boat is true, it may be because he was especially young and able-bodied. Or it may be that he was mistaken for a crew member. It's generally been depicted as a spur-of-the-moment action on Captain Smith's part.

One thing I will say, however, is that I'm not sure how pernickety Captain Smith would have been about searching out a 1st class passenger to save as opposed to a third class passenger. Passing this boy over to find somebody richer to put in the lifeboat isn't consistent withy my perception of Captain Smith, but this is a loaded topic that's fertile soil for disagreement.

So moving on...

Regarding question 3) Off the top of my head, I don't recall accounts of Murdoch firing shots to force male passengers to leave lifeboats. Regarding Lightoller sending boat 6 out with this boy in it - it could be that he didn't see him because his attention was focused on many things at once, or it could be that the Captain Smith story is true and far be it from the second officer to raise any objection.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Regards,
Brian

J

Thanks, Brian! It helps me a lot!

I think Murdoch fired some shots during the launching of collapsible C, to force the chinese men who jumped from the A-Deck to return to the ship.

Regards, João