Boat Deck Cabins

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Lester,

>>Brian, On what basis have you arrived at: ".... a Boat Deck cabin cost 11 pounds more than a basic A Deck cabin." <<

I believe Dan K has already answered this, but for the sake of argument I will confirm.

The ticket price listed for Blackwell's cabin T is 35 pounds on Titanic in 1912, it says this on the ET passenger list as well as looking up the ticket in manual book research. The advertised rates must be wrong or for a later time period.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dec 6, 2000
Brian,

What a passenger paid seldom relates to the advertised fare.
What is the "manuel book research"?
On what basis are you concluding that "advertised rates must be wrong or for a later time period." - The First Class Passage Rates booklet is dated January 1912 and also has rates for the Olympic. - Where applicable the same rates still applied on the Olympic in May 1913.
If you took the time to check you would know that passengers in comparable rooms often paid vastly different rates.

Dec 6, 2000
As noted above few passengers paid the advertised rates for the rooms they had.

Since this post is concentrating on the outside single-berth rooms if you look at decks A & B and only those who appear on the Cave List with room numbers. - Advertised rate £60:
A-16: Duff-Gordon paid £39.12/- [£1.14.3] - [Lady Duff-Gordon paid more; but her fare included Miss Francatelli]
B-10: Brandeis £50.9.11 [£1.14.3]
Brady £30.10/- [11/-] - [his room number is given as A21/1 which suggests he may have booked a berth [advertised rate for a 2nd passenger using a sofa berth £36 per berth] rather than the room.
B-38: Major Butt £26.11/- [11/-]
B-20: Mr & Mrs Dick £57 [£1.2/-]
A-29: Miss Evans £31.13.7 [£1.14.3]
B-39: Miss Frolicher £49.10/- [£1.14.3]
A-32: Rood £50 [11/-] - Rood also had a Restaurant Rebate of £5; which along with the 11/- came off the £50 to give a Nett Passage Money of £44.9.0; but that suggests that Rood paid the Rebate ........
A-24: Roebling £50.9.11 [11/-]
Graham in C-42 paid £30. [--]

As a comparison for the Inside single-berth rooms on A & B-decks. - Advertised rate £42:
A-23: Barkworth £30 [--]
A-31: Blank £31 [£1.14.3]
A-9: Chevre £29.14/- [£1.14.3]
A-18: Dulles £29.14/- [£1.14.3]
A-5: Goldschmidt £34.13.1 [£1.14.3]
B-11: Head £42.10/- [11/-]
B-18: Mrs & Miss Hippach £57.19.7 [£3.8.6]
B-37: Kent £29.14/-; [£1.14.3]
the Ostbys for 2 rooms [B-30 & 36] £61.19.7 [£3.8.6]
A-10: Ross £40.2.6 [11/-]
A-26: Simonius-Blummer £35.10/- [£6.4.4]
A-7: Clinch Smith for an outside room at an inside rate £30.13.11 [£1.14.3]
A-19: RW Smith £26 [--]
B-19: van der Hoef £33.10/- [--]

Bracketed amounts are the Forwarding = Rail Fares], which always show as 11/- and £1.14.3; even although those who paid about the Minimum paid 10/- from London and £1 from Paris. - I apologize for any errors in transcribing the figures.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Lester,

I'm probably asking the painfully obvious here (!), but just to confirm; in the instances where you have [--] following the passenger's fare, I assume this indicates that those particular passengers didn't travel by boat train from Waterloo? This would make sense for Van Der Hoef at least.

Hope you're well.

Ben

Dec 6, 2000
Evening Ben,

I hope you are keeping well and that your University studies are on course. I also hope that you are not about to be hit by a massive fee increase.

Looking at the entry for Van der Hoef in the column headed "No of Continental Ticket" - [the column contains no such information, but for many of the passengers has the words London or Paris, and in most of those cases either 11/- or £1.14.3 (or multiples thereof) appears in the column headed "Forwarding"] - there is the word London; so I expected to see 11/-; but there is no amount in the Forwarding column. What we do have is an amount of £1.3/- not in the main "Commissions" column, but in a 2nd Commission column which appears on the right-hand side of the "Nett Total Passage Money" column; which reads: £32.7.0.

So in the case of Van der Hoef the CTL seems to contradict itself. Paying £33.10/- it would seem that he paid 10/- to travel from London and is entered as having done so; but no Forwarding is shown.

Just to show how maddening the CTL can be nothing shows in the "No of Continental Ticket" column for either A Gee or Miss Crosby who are listed immediately below Van der Hoef. Gee paid £26 and Miss Crosby £26.11/- . Both show 11/- in the Forwarding column, and £1.6/- in the main Commission column, to give "Nett Total Passage Money" of £24.3/- and £24.14/- respectively.

So sorry Ben, but I have no answer for you; but I hope the above may give you a better understanding of the complexities of the CLT.

With my best wishes.
Regards,
Lester

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Lester!

Apologies for my delayed reply.

I also hope that you are not about to be hit by a massive fee increase.

Thankfully not. I managed to duck out of that situation before the financial hoo-haa descended upon English Universities!

Thanks for explaining further the problems with the CLT. I mentioned Van Der Hoef in particular because of his unique situation of having been the only passenger to have journeyed from Belfast. I assumed that, because he probably stayed in Southampton prior to the April 10th departure (perhaps even on the ship itself?), he would not have travelled to London, and would not, therefore, have needed to travel via boat train. The fact that there was no "forwarding" after his name, would seem to confirm this.

However, Graham, Barkworth, and R.W. Smith would surely have needed to use the boat train. The plot thickens!

Hope all is well in New Zealand, or should that be the newly-christened "Middle-Earth"? :)

Regards and very best wishes,

Ben

Dec 6, 2000
Evening Ben,

Good to hear. Yes thank you all is well in "Middle Earth".

Well this is again where the CTL changes what had at an initial glance appeared to be its rules.
RW Smith has London ticked in the "No of Continental Ticket" column, but nothing in the "Forwarding" column. Given that he only paid £26 I do not believe he paid to travel from London. But then as I noted in an earlier post neither do Graham or Barkworth have any "Forwarding". As neither of them show London in the "No of Continental Ticket" column I would not expect them to have paid to travel from London. Neither do their fares of £30 suggest any Rail Fare was paid.

A

Adam Tarzwell

It would seem like quite a bargin with just the little boat deck cabin ticket, you still could use all the first class facilities. So yeah your sleeping arrangements may be crowded but all you really needed the room for was sleep, you could spend the rest of the day about the ship.

Feb 14, 2011
I wonder if the Boat Deck cabins had frosted glass windows, or perhaps an internal frosted glass screen. - I'd hate to be one to occupy a boat deck cabin, only to have passengers strolling by and peering in as I was sleeping or changing....
The windows of the Boat Deck cabins on the wreck are clear-no trace of frosting- so im wondering if passengers had to rely on a shade...

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Tarn,

Considering the First Class A and B Deck cabins along the promenade had them, I would see no reason why the Boat Deck cabins would not. I would also venture that the officer's cabins had them as well, but I have found no solid proof of this so far as there are no actual photos of any of the Boat Deck cabins, or very detailed specs on their construction.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Anna,

>>This is T cabin, occupied by Stepher Weart Blackwell<<

What does this refer to, it seems irrelevant?

Best Regards,

Brian