Boat Deck Cabins

• Thread starter Brian R Peterson
  • Start date

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All,

I am having quite a hard time locating accurate blueprints of where the Boat Deck cabins were and what thier numbers are.

I believe there are six numbered T U W X Y Z but I may be mistaken.

If anyone could help with both the correct numbers and locations of these cabins I would appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jul 11, 2001
Brian, If you want, email me directly and I will scan and send you a copy of the Boat Deck cabin plan. It shows the rooms and how they were furnished. Click on my name to the left to access profile and contact info.

David

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Samuel!

Thank many times over, I had a feeling the cabins were arranged in such a fashion but couldnt decide which went where.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jul 11, 2001
Brian, there is a wall at the end by cabin T and X, making the halls a dead end. This separated the passengers from the Officers. At least that is how the White Star Line plans show it. The two unlabeled rooms between Y and X are the only Bathroom and Toilet for those Cabins.

David

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
David,
could this have been a door? I was under the impression that there was direct, unimpeded access from the wheelhouse to the Marconi room. There was an indicated door next to "T" but nothing on my Titanic plans near X....

Thoughts?

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Dan, The wall shown on my plan runs fore to aft on your right as you approach cabin X say from the sixth officers cabin. The crew hallway ran along side of it then turns left to get to the marconi rooms. Basically it looped around to the starboard side then back up towards the Captains quarters. It doesn't indicate a door there. This plan is on page 194 of the Susan Wels book: Titanic, Legacy of the Worlds Greatest Ocean Liner. ISBN#078355261-0 It has at the back a copy of the revised Titanic Deck plans printed 11 days before the Maiden Voyage. It also has a copy of the Olympics deck plans, but they didn't show the boat deck for some odd reason.

David

Feb 14, 2011
Do we have any photos of a boat deck cabin from Olympic? Im very curious as to its size and decor....

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

B

Brian R Peterson

Tarn,

There are no known photos of Boat Deck cabins from either ship.

W, U, T and Z were all almost identical to a one berth A Deck cabin in size, decor and accommodations while X and Y were smaller cabins that were bare bones or "dodgy" according to Dan K.

Best Regards,

Brian

Paul Visser

Sep 19, 2007
Dan and Samuel,

Thank you so much for your input. I always very much appreciate it. I can honestly say that I have learned something new from you today.

Yours Gratefully,

Paul

Feb 14, 2011
Brian, do you suppose the boat deck cabins might have been of the same size and decor as cabins A -36 and A- 37?

The photos of Father Brown's cabin might give an idea as to the decor of the boat deck cabins...

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,

As mentioned basically the boat-deck cabins looked like the forward staterooms on the lower decks in this forward portion of the vessel. The Boat Deck stateroom decor consisted of white painted walls, a steel roof and carpeting complete with the ordinary furniture, a bed, washstand with mirror and a dressing table. Stateroom Z, I believe could sleep three passengers, as this stateroom was the largest. A-36 and 37 were in a different style altogether compared to these forward boat-deck cabins and more ornately furnished with adjoining bathrooms. Olympic did not have these staterooms during her first years of services, these additional staterooms were added in the 1913 refit after Titanic’s loss.

Nigel

Dec 6, 2000
All,

Contrary to the plans in E&H and the plan posted above which show no wall between the corner of room "X" and the "Silent Room" [the room on the port-side of the Marconi Room] H&W plans indicate that there was a solid wall between "X" and the "Silent Room". Also contrary to the plan posted above other deck plans show a doorway at the after end of the starboard-side passageway near room "T".

Stateroom "Z" was a 2-berth room.

Below is a copy of the section of the Father Browne plans showing the furniture arrangements for the Boat deck staterooms.

84770.jpg

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks Lester! That plan shows what I was trying to describe above. The WSL Deck plans show a picture of cabin A-21 that reads:"Single berth Stateroom A21 and similar, showing type of bedstead fitted throughout the First class accomodation boat deck and decks A, B, C and D and rooms E1 to E42 and E200 to E203 on Deck E."

And yes, it does look like the Father Browne cabin photo.

David

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
David,
yes, my apologies - I apparently hadn't referenced the most detailed plans - I do see the wall near Stateroom X as indicated in the Wels book as well as the recent Commutator magazine, and I thank you for the clarification and input!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Wasn't it noted the plans Fr. Browne had were slightly altered Olympic plans? In that case, would there be any change in the arrangement of the Boat Deck cabins?

Dec 6, 2000
While A-36 and A-37 were not shown on the Father Brown deck plans, the rest of the plans seem to be final Titanic and not Olympic. By May 1913 Olympic has rooms on the Boat deck. Added rooms on A-deck between the Grand staircase and a reduced size Reading & Writing Room. Her B-deck rooms were renumbered with B-11 and 15 being combined into a staircase and a 3-berth B-11, this resulted in the loss of what had been C-45 on the Titanic. Olympic also added rooms C-40 to C-46. On D-deck what had been D-43 on the Titanic also disappeared as a result of the new set of stairs coming down from B-deck. Also 4 of the outside rooms were turned into private bathrooms. I believe all of these changes were post-Titanic. Below is a copy of Olympic's Boat Deck cabins as shown in a May 1913 Fare Rate booklet.

84799.jpg

Jul 11, 2001
I have seen a deck plan for Olympic post-refit that shows a slightly modified boat deck cabin arrangement. Cabin U & T are replaced with a large room that has two tables. The room is for the crew as the hall ends right where it turns left. Possibly a crew mess hall? The labeling is way too small for me to read. This version is shown in the McClusky book.

David