Boat Deck Cabins

• Thread starter Brian R Peterson
  • Start date

Apr 23, 2002
I drew several drawings on the cabins on the Boat Deck some time ago with the help of Daniel K.
I still have them and will scan them if you would like a look.
Greg

Apr 23, 2002
84809.jpg

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Greg.
Wow, you are a fantasic artist!

I would also love to see you do artistic renderings of cabins C-79 and C-81. (the Big Piece cabins).

In regards to cabins A-36 and A-37, were the windows that faced the promenade the original arched foyer windows, or were they recut to the standard square design, as found on all other cabins on the A deck promenade?

thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Im very interested in the Boat deck skid lights, which reflected light down to some of the A deck cabins.

Greg, could you sketch what the 'skid light-light reflection box' might look like, which I believe was positioned under the beds of the boat deck cabins?

Also, how large do you suppose was the skylights of the A deck cabins were that recieved the light via the skid lights, and which A deck cabins recieved the light?

regards

Tarn stephanos

B

Brian R Peterson

Tarn,

there is a photo of Father Brown's cabin, A37 - its cracked and out of focus, but gives a good impression of the cabin I am sure A36 would be identical in decor.

Here is a rendering I made of a one berth A Deck cabin, A36 and A37 would have been similar to this.

84823.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

Feb 14, 2011
That makes me wonder about the cabin windows....
A-36 and A-37 were last minute additions to the area of the upper landing of the aft grand staircase

...all the windows in that area were arched....
Did A-36 and A-37 have the original arched windows,or was a new window shape cut?

The 2 photos that exist of father Brown' cabin are remarkable- his cabin was at the epicenter of the breakup, and everthing in the frame was certianly shattered and twisted...

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 11, 2001
Tarn: Skid Lights? are those the small port hole like openings almost at deck level? I have always meant to ask what they were for. You can clearly see them in a few boat deck pics near the Captains quarters.

Feb 14, 2011
Hi David.
Those small round porthole like openings foot level on the boat deck (which are oval shaped on Olympic) reflected light down to the A deck cabins..

Tarn Stephanos

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm sure that the builders would have just re-used the same windows for those staterooms. One of these windows conected to one of the bathrooms so I'm sure some sort of privacy glass was installed behind them. Many of the A-deck outside staterooms had these.You can see one of them in the book Ghosts of the Abyss, in A11 I think on pg 107, leaning towards Edith Rosenbaum's mirror.

By the way, nice illustrations, Greg and Brain.

Regards,

Nigel

Feb 14, 2011
Good points Nigel.

There are a couple of published photos taken inside Titanic's A deck promenade.
In any of the promenade photos, can we catch a glimpse off to the side of the window(s) of staterooms A-36 or A-37?

thanks

Tarn Stephanos