Boat Deck Cabins

• Thread starter Brian R Peterson
  • Start date

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Tarn,

Yeah, this is the Olympic, I think a Harland and Wolff photograph. The photographer would have been standing near the bay windows of the smoking room and palm court. It's looking forward.

Nigel

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! Could anyone see through the A-deck staterooms windows or were these made differently so that such an event could be avoided? Thank you!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I don't think frosted glass was used in the windows, but curtains could always be pulled right?

But there is a possibility of frosted glass. I thought I saw one shot in Cameron's Titanic, I must go and check.....

B

Brian R Peterson

Looking at photos of Boat Deck of the Olympic & Titanic during construction, all the windows along the Officer's Promenade were clear glass, and you could see into all of the rooms if you looked, just the same as any of the A or B Deck cabins that had windows looking over the Promenade

However two things prevented passengers from peering into these rooms - the first, the section of Boat Deck from boats 7 & 8 up to the Bridge was the Officer's Promenade - no passengers were permitted up that far, the second,as Jeremy said earlier there were curtains in all the rooms that could be drawn.

The only translucent pebbled glass windows I am aware of were used in the Gymnasium. Although some of the better B and C Deck suites had stained glass windows covering the portholes.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dec 6, 2000
Deck plans shown the dividing line between the Officer's promenade and the 1st Class promenade as just aft of boats 5 and 6. In other words at close to a mid-point in the 1st Class Entrance.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,

The only frosted glass was on the dexlue staterooms on Olympic's B-deck that looked out over the enclosed promenade. Titanic's arrangement was slightly different in this region. I really don't think Titanic or Olympic had any frosted glass windows on the A-deck staterooms. Check out this photograph:

http://www.titanicmodel.com/photoarchive/olympic/fullsize/image18.jpg

These staterooms, though did have privacy glass that could be installed over the window inside the staterooms for more privacy later on as the nights grew darker. A large peice of this glass was found in the sunken remains of cabin A-11 in Cameron's 2001 Expedition as noted above.

Nigel

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! Nigel, do you imply that the suites with the private promenade in Titanic had such windows. I cannot remember seeing anything like that in books or movies! Please, correct me if I am wrong. Thank you!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Privacy glass..... Would it be slotted behind the windows or the whole window could be taken out and replaced?

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi George,

No, the Titanic did not have frosted glass in the B Deck Parlor Suites, the windows were stained glass.

Hi Jeremy,

No, the privacy glass was much like a storm window that would be placed over the existing window. The sliding diffusion glass you mention was only used in B and C Deck Suites and it was usually stained glass to make the portholes more attractive.

Best Regards,

Brian

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Here is the Sitting Room of B-38 onboard the Olympic (Titanic's room was B-52)

http://titanic.marconigraph.com/km29.html

You can see inside the two windows and in the adjoining room that they did have some sort of frosted or stained glass in the frames. Remember though this was not just for decoration but also done for privacy.There was a public enclosed deck outside, so this prevented people from staring in the suites. On the Titanic I don't think they would need it becuase the suites were extended to the sides, though they proably did have some sort of stained glass in the frames in keeping with the decor styles of the suites.

Regards,

Nigel