Boat Deck object outside 2nd class main entrance

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Jim:
How about anything? The clues are so limited on this particular object that unless we get something from some other source other than just the photo we are completely in the dark. I could list at least a hundred things it "could" be but we haven't even been able to put any of the possibilities into the "likely" category.
Believe me, I have seen almost everything under the sun proposed for the function of this box.
Usually we see if there are visual clues from the object itself. The only things of any note are that the box is raised off the deck, it looks as if it has a removable lid and there is either an electrical conduit or a drain coming from the aft side. Not much to go on. Next we usually try to determine whether its function is related to its location. Not much there either.
Believe me, Titanic safecrackers have been trying to get inside this box for some time but not because they couldn't think of possibilities.
That's actually part of the problem. There are too many possibilities and almost no probabilities at this point. That's why something will have to surface from some other source before this thing is solved.
As far as your particular suggestion goes, I think we could safely rule it out because of where this box is located. If such a luxury was offered to passengers it would be for first class passengers. This is a second class area.
Also it is one of a kind which makes it even more puzzling. But, we'll keep our eyes open for new evidence.

Regards,
Bob Read

Regards,
Bob Read