Boat deck resurfacing

Miller88

Feb 20, 2019
North Carolina
Witnesses reported hearing between 2 and 4 explosions. My thinking on those explosions would be the C-Strakes, first starboard and then port as the ship was listing to port prior to the break. Some survivors recalled that the ship seemed to twist at times, my opinion is this is related to the starboard hull failing first. As water rushed in possibly it could tend to "twist" the ship to one side and back when the port hull failed.

Thinking more about this it makes me wonder if the C-Strakes failed first, causing water to flood the mid ship area enough to cause the bottom up break?

These are just my thoughts and opinions. I've never been able to find any theory that explains what all the witnesses saw or thought they saw, so in absence of said theory I've begun creating my own.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I have wondered what those “four explosions” were as the bridge dipped under. I wonder if it was the beginnings of the breakup?

Miller88

Feb 20, 2019
North Carolina
I can't see it being anything else. Even if it were the boilers crashing down I would assume that would initiate a breakup just from the mass shifting around in an already unstable ship