Boat Deck

Logan Geen

Dec 2, 2001
I have a few rather offbeat questions about Titanic's top deck:
A) What kind of barriers split up the deck? There were 4 sections I believe (2nd, engineers, 1st, officers promenades). How did Ismay get up to the bridge if there was a physical barrier? I believe in the Cameron movie what looks like a wire gate is visible, but the few pictures I've seen (and I can't remember where I saw them) don't look like much.
B) I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the Titanic's radio block was moved from being directly on the portside of the officers house (as in the Olympic and as commonly thought) to in the center and not accessible to the outside. This means Smith went through the corridor, not outside on the boat deck.
C) There were passenger cabins on the boat deck? According to Eaton and Haas yes-T, Z, U, X and Y. They are pictured as being right in the officer's house-and according to the plans there is no barrier separating them from the off limits area. Apparently these were all unoccupied. Any further information on this area would be appreciated.

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

Perhaps I can be of small assistance:

A) You can see a series of gates on the boat deck in photographs. I have always assumed that these seperated the different areas of the deck. Often in my imagination, I seem to think of the boat deck as a wide-open area where anybody could go anywhere, but the truth is, it wasn't hardly like that.

B) This could possibly be another one of the many small differences between the Titanic and the Olympic, most of which not many people are aware of. But if this area was not accessible from the boat deck, then this would mean that Fr. Browne went down the corridor used to access the radio room, which I would assume was restricted to passengers, in order to snap the shot of Bride at the set?

C) Yes, there were passenger cabins on the boat deck. They were all first class and, as you said, were all unoccupied on the maiden voyage. Fellow board member Daniel K. is an expert on cabins, and could give you much more information on the boat deck suites, I'm sure.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Logan, and Brandon,

The rooms on the boat deck were hardly suites. They were small cabins that were most likely no different from all the others on lower decks. All had one lower berth except for Z which had two. They were accessible by two halls moving forward on either side of the Grand Staircase. These cabin corridors did not have direct access to the wireless room. Z, Y, and X were located on the port side with a bathroom in between Y and X. The starboard side had W, U, and T (for some reason there wasn't a V).

One interesting point that Eaton and Haas left out was the fact that one of the boat Deck cabins WAS occupied. Mr. Stephen Weart Blackwell was in T. You can find this on the cabin allocation list on this site.

Hope this helps,

happy.gif

David

Dec 7, 2000
All,

David said most of what I was going to say. That's true they were not suites and did look like other simple first class cabins. “T” was occupied as David pointed out.

The Eaton and Haas plans are slightly wrong (even though the plans they copied do show the correct arrangements). The first class section was separated from the crew area. Eaton and Haas are missing a wall, that separates first cl. from the crew, the wall goes from the corner of the silent room, to the corner of cabin X. The only possible way to get from the first class section to the crew area or visa versa was via the door next to cabin T.

I suspect that there was no cabin "V", because V was used for other abbreviations on the deck plans (have a look at the plan) so to avoid any confusion ... there was no cabin V.

I hope I was of some help.

Daniel.