1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Boat Train Motive Power

Discussion in 'Boat Train' started by Kas01, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kas01

Kas01 Member

I'm not sure if this would be better here or on a British railfan site, but what would have been a reasonable approximation of LSWR's motive power on boat trains circa 1912? There's at least one photo pre-grouping that implies that it's a T9, but I'm not sure if this was always the case.

Thanks in advance.

2. Julian Atkins

Julian Atkins Member

Hi Kas01,

This is 'right up my street' and on far more firmer ground than other threads I have contributed to.

Yes, it would have been a Drummond loco, but not necessarily his T9. It was probably one of his latest 4-6-0 locos with inside Walschaerts valve gear as described by E A Langridge in his memoirs, built just before Drummond died still in charge at Eastleigh in 1912.

The boat trains to and from the West Country, and the boat trains to and from Southampton were a 'prestige' service of the LSWR.

Cheers,

Julian

Rob Lawes likes this.
  3. Kas01

Kas01 Member

Thanks Julian.

Out of curiosity, is Langridge referring to the G14 class of 1908? That's the only Drummond design I can find with inside Walschaerts gear.

4. Julian Atkins

Julian Atkins Member

Hi Kas01,

I was thinking of Drummond's very successful D15s, though in retrospect they might not have been available for the Titanic boat trains as built in 1912, and when exactly in 1912 I don't have details.

So perhaps a T9 as originally built might have been the motive power!

I hasten to add I am not an expert on LSWR locos apart from the O2s, being very much a Brighton fan.

Cheers,

Julian

5. Kas01

Kas01 Member

Well you're still better versed in British locos in general-my area of interest is the Pennsy's T1s!

6. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Without pushing this topic too far off, Gentleman, I'd like to say there is only one loco by which all others should be judged.

I give you, Charles Collett's Castle Class.

The defence rests. :)