Boer War Veterans

Hi,

I bought a book about the Boer War on Wednesday and I've hardly been able to put it down. (Ghosts of the Abyss is next on my reading list)

Just out of curiosity, as the 'Titanic Adventure Out of Time' computer game portrays its fictional Officer Morrow as a Boer War veteran: did any of Titanic's (or Olympic's for that matter) officers or crew serve in the Boer War and did it have any evident effect on their psychology?

Stuart

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day there, Stuart -

While there is no record of any of the Titanic's deck officers being involved in active combat during the Boer War that I'm aware of, as George points out Smith was involved in transport, and both Murdoch and Lightoller served aboard the Medic when she was transporting troops to and from South Africa - somewhere I have a list of wounded brought back to Australia aboard the Medic on one of these voyages.

At least one of the officers had a brother who served in the War as part of the medical corps. Lightoller's autobio contains the following passage about an apprentice aboard the Medic named Watson:

quote:

When in Cape Town, we both tried to join the S.A. Light Horse. We couldn't get a scrap of help, and unless we left the ship, they would not look at us. We tried all we knew how, to get the Powers to use their influence with the White Star Line, to sign us off, but there was nothing doing, and as I couldn't afford to burn my boats, we went home. Having got home, the glamour of war, to me, had faded to a certain extent, and in any case, I realised I had got to stick at sea, and stick to the company, if I was going to do any good at all. Watson was younger and went back - and he stayed there. Shot in action on the Tugela River.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
According to his biography here onsite, Purser McElroy served for three years on the troopship Britannic during the Boer War.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Two crewmen who had an active service record from the Boer War were fireman John Haggan, who served as an artlillerman, and the controversial 3rd Class steward John Hart, who was a trooper in the South African Light Horse (where he might have served under Lightoller, had circumstances been different!)

G

Gavin Murphy

.......somewhat as an aside, I remember reading that the last Boer War veteran, who was Canadian, died in 1993. Where did I read it?..........while attending the BTS Convention in Ston!

g

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As another aside, the Titanic had on board one of the most fervent campaigners against the Boer War, the publisher William Stead, who was a member of the 'Stop the War Committee' and publisher of the weekly journal 'War Against War in South Africa'. On the Titanic He was en route to New York to speak at an international conference on world peace.

Dec 22, 2005
Dear Stuart,

Steward Thomas Teuton served for 8 years with the 1st Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and ended his career as a Sergeant. He served during the Boer War, and took part in the relief of Ladysmith and Mafeking. Thomas Teuton was awarded the Queen's South African medal (with five bars), and
the King's South African Medal.