Boiler explosion

Jun 6, 2005
After the torpedo that mortally wounded the Lusitania struck her, there was a second explosion due to coal dust. Did this explosion happen right after the torpedo strike...or some time after? If it did, how long after? In what area of the ship did it occur? At the bow, amidships or stern? And on which side (I suppose on the same side as the torpedo...but it doesn't hurt to ask)?

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Gustavo

You might want to refer to the other with same title as yours as this thread discusses the topic in detail by various members of the board including myself.

It is my opinion however that Coal Dust did not cause the 2nd explosion, and neither did boilers, but it was caused by Aluminum powder.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>there was a second explosion due to coal dust.<<

This is an extremely questionable premise and one discussed before. The short version is that it's not at all likely the conditions were right for it. The secondary explosion happened very shortly after the torpedo did it's work.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For your further information and background reading, you may wish to parse a discussion we had on the nature of the secondary explosion starting at

Then going to the second part at

[Moderator's note: The thread that Michael refers to is the one you are reading now; the old one and the new one have merged, and are now here. JDT]

Make of it what you will.