Boiler next up

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
This is just my own speculation, but if any further large piece of the Titanic were to be raised, to of course further publicise RMS Titanic Inc./increase exhibition visitors etc etc just like the 'Big Piece', what's the betting that one of the loose boilers from the debris field is going to see daylight again within a few years? It's such an obvious choice for the salvor with a glint in his eye-a known weight to engineer to lift, free on the sea bed, very easy to build big publicity over, easy to make a big deal over in any exhibition etc-what do you think?

I don't agree with salvage by the way, but it strikes me as quite an obvious eventuality, if salvage is to continue-especially when the smaller items begin running out, if they're not already!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sounds logical as a choice, but God only knows how they're going to pull it off. Just bringing up The Big Peice was a two season long fiasco. I would think an entire boiler is going to be a helluva lot more awkward.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

A boiler is out of the question. As Michael pointed out it took two separate visits to the site to recover the "Big Piece". However, it were a three-year planned culmination deriving at a technique to salvage the large hull section.
(W /grtititude to Pierre Valldy).

For one thing grappling measures are at issue here. You will remember, P.H. Nargeolet with the aid of NAUTILE's manipulator arm attached *lift lines* to accessible areas of the piece (e.g. open portholes). Furthurmore in order to salvage the 2.5 ton bollard, conditions were similar for attaching the life lines. Where to gain a firm grasp on a boiler? I also feel that due to the overwhelming depth of the TITANIC wreck, IFREMER'S *grabber* technique would only prove fruitless!

Kinda like a human hand attempting to grab a 16lb. bowling ball that is void of the standard three hole openings!

Michael Cundiff
USA

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
Hello,

It would be 'rather' difficult to raise a boiler yes...

A single-ended boiler weighs about 57 tons, and that is without water inside.
A working boiler would be filled with 29 tons of water, add 8 more to fill the boiler completely.

Seeing the troubles they had when raising the 15, IIRC, tons Big Piece, a 94 tons boiler sounds like an interesting object to raise next for RMST Inc.
happy.gif

Regards,
Remco

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I hear what you're all saying, but you see my point-what more perfect piece of display material are they going to find short of pulling parts off the ship herself?

Generally though, I'm sure a way could be found to lift a boiler-it's only money that limits most things these days. Hopefully of course they won't, but I had the horrible thought that maybe someone would now get the idea and consider it after readng this!

Jun 10, 1999
Hi Mike B!

Hey, have no fret of the *smaller* artifacts running out. Word is, and this word comes from a reputable Maritime Historian, who BTW participated in the 2000 Expedition, that only FIVE PER-CENT of the scatter field has been recovered. Now, it is important to bear in mind that it is a selective process of recovering the TITANIC artifacts...nothing like an easter egg hunt. Priority rests alot on the condition of item at hand (Submersible manipulator that is...:), and a *select example* of all classes is a request of Archeologist and Historian working the site. An ultimate goal is a permanent display of furnishings, provisionals, utensils etc. to represent *the walks of life* from the Edwardian period.

Moreover, I strongly feel that these *class representatives* carry a more powerful yet sorrowful message. It is much more important to display them for the INFALLIBLE message that rest with their tangibility.

Michael Cundiff
Nevada, USA