Book Buyers Beware Captain Collins' New Book Isn't New at All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found, to my major disappointment, that Captain Collin's "new" book, The Sinking of the Titanic, the Mystery Solved, is not new at all. It is an exact reprint of his first book, The Sinking of the Titanic, An Ice Pilot’s Perspective.

This new edition by Souvenir Press is a lovely hardbound edition, whereas the original was a perfect bound paperback, but other than that, the text is identical.

If you planned on ordering this book thinking like I did that it was a new work, don't be fooled. If, however, you would like a nice hardbound copy of what you already have, this new edition is very nice.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Thanks for the warning, Mike. I was kicking around the idea of buying it in case there was something new. Since there isn't, I'll stick with the copy I have.

Jason D. Tiller

Thanks for posting that Michael. Since I already own the paperback edition as well, I won't be wasting my money on this one.

Paul Lee

From what has been said about the dubious conclusions, perhaps you shouldn't have bought a copy anyway!

Cheers

Paul

Can't agree with you there, Paul. Even if I don't agree with an author's theories, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt until I have read what they have to say. I don't buy Collins' no iceberg theory, but I would have been very interested in reading an expanded argument supporting his claims. I'm disappointed we won't get that chance.

>>From what has been said about the dubious conclusions, perhaps you shouldn't have bought a copy anyway! <<

I can't agree with that either. Captain Collins views are out there now and are sure to become fodder for some serious debate. While I don't agree with the No Iceberg theory either, Captain Collins does bring to the table his considerable experience in ice navigation which, unfortunately, is a body of experience seldom heard from in Titanic circles.

He's "Been-There-Done-That."

Jason D. Tiller

"From what has been said about the dubious conclusions, perhaps you shouldn't have bought a copy anyway!"

Sorry Paul, but I also disagree. I don't agree with Collins' No Iceberg theory as well, but just as Michael T pointed out, I prefer to give the author a fair hearing until I've read what's in the book.

It has been brought to my attention that The Sinking of the Titanic the Mystery Solved is an expanded edition of Collin’s book The Sinking of the Titanic, an Ice Pilot’s Perspective, originally published in 2002.

This is the quote from an e-mail I received from James Doyle, and signed by Ernest Hecht (Managing Director of Souvenir Press), that describes the differences between the two editions:

“....quite apart from all the textual changes (actually nearer 10% than 8%) the book had four pages of new illustrations on art paper.”

My web site has also been updated to reflect this information.

Paul Lee

May the good Lord have mercy on my soul. Without knowing what it was, I picked this up, flicked through it and put it down quickly.

I feel unclean, flithy. May God have pity on me.

Paul Rogers

I've recently been fortunate enough to win a copy of this book, from entering a competition on the Titanic-Titanic forum. I'll be pleased to read it (and not only because it's free) as I'm sure Captain Collins must have something interesting to say; even though I have no time for his "no iceberg" hypothesis.

It's also nice to be able to add to my Titanic book collection without having to ask MasterCard for help, for once.

as any one read the book called titanic mystery solved
where that captian says all the evidence pionts toward titanic never actually hitting the ice berg it just went past

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread under the "Discovery/Salvage" topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the same subject. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.