Book possibly owned by AB Frank O. Couch

Sheila B

Mar 17, 2020
Hello everyone
I don't know if this is Titanic memorabilia or not. Or if anyone is interested in this item or not. I am downsizing and was going through some old books to possibly sell. I came across a book published in 1861. The title of the book is Lives of The Bishops of Exeter, by the Rev. George Oliver, D.D. - Publisher, William Roberts, Broadgate, Exeter, 1861. On the inside front page there is a signature of a Frank O. Couch. 1898. In my research this appears to be the Frank O. Couch who was an able bodied seaman on the Titanic. Apparently of the 30 ABs on the Titanic, 26 were saved and 4 died, with Frank Couch being 1 of the 4. Mr. Frank Couch was born in Port Isaac, Cornwall, England in August 1884. Frank Couch was a crew member (a cook) aboard the Deveron, a schooner on which his brother, Charles was the master. This was about 1901. He signed-on the Titanic in Southampton on 6 April 1912, age 27 years. Frank Couch was lost in the sinking and his body was later recovered by the CS MacKay Bennett, a cable repair ship, which was built & launched in 1884 (when Couch was born) from Scotland. He was subsequently buried in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 6, May 1912.
IMG_2989.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG

May 3, 2005
Wasn't (or still is ? )a Verger is a layperson who assists the Priest of a local Parish in the Church of England ?

Sheila B

Mar 17, 2020
Hello Robert T Paige
Yes, my research turned up that a Verger is a layperson who assists a Priest or Dean of a local parish, I thought it was for the Anglican church, or maybe that is the Church of England. I thought this fit, as the book is about the Bishops of Exeter. The reason I believe this is the titanic victim, Frank O. Couch, was that my grandfather and great grandfather were from Port Isaac, Cornwall. The signature of P B Lewis, was my grandfather Philip Brown Lewis, who lived at Dinnabroad farm in Cornwall. This is close to where Frank O. Couch lived.