Book Recommendation

Apr 27, 2005
Gary Gentile's "'Andrea Doria',Dive to an Era" tell the story of recovery from the wreck. I just began Gentile's "'Andrea Doria' Deep, Dark, and Dangerous", which is extremely well written, detailing the experience of diving on the ship, and a year by year accounting of the ship's collapse. Gentile has a true understanding of ocean physics as well. As a science teacher, I would even consider using this latter book in a marine education, or marine studies class at H.S. or college level.
I don't know the author, but if you've never dived the "Doria", and I haven't, though the ship has been a life long passion of mine, this book will take you there. I highly recommend it.

Apr 27, 2005
Follow up note for the recommendation of "'Andrea Doria' Deep, Dark, and Dangerous". I've finished the book and have a couple of observations to make. Gentile chronicles the natural decay of the "Andrea Doria" like no other book has done. Instead of telling the story of desperate people trying to get off the doomed liner, he related the story of the liner falling apart, but does so in minute detail. Gentile includes four annotated maps which supplement his text, so the journey into the hulk is more easily joined by the reader. He doesn't belabor the obvious, but explains the location and deterioration of bulkheads and passageways. Were it not for this book, one might be tempted to believe th "Doria" was a rusty version of the liner that sank in 1956! Gentile describes her as "half a hollowed melon today", and collapsing at that. He does spend some time justifying the dives he has made on the shipwreck, and discussing his opinions of several men who have since died on the wreck. I only found one of those in which I have to agree, the diver was at fault.
If Gary Gentile comes off as being aloof and having a superiority complex to some, I think the reader will no doubt come to the opinion that Gentile is an extremely intelligent man, and though he has made well over 100 dives on the "Andrea Doria", he is both alive to tell about it, and has paid more than his dues in recovering those who have died in the pursuit of the wreck. He is not only a practiced and disciplined scuba expert, but a man who relies only upon himself and a few chosen people of a similar skill level, to make his explorations both profitable and safe. If I were to dive on the "Andrea Doria", something I've wanted to do all my life, I'd want Gentile to train me and be at my side. Alas, at 57 years, I am not in physical condition to do so, and smart enough to know it. Therefore, this book is the best alternative of which I can conceive.
My only criticism is the lack of wreckage photographs. I would have liked to have seen more of the recognizable wreck, perhaps will drawing references, than appear in the book.
If you are a "Doria" nut, do yourself a favor and dive with Gary Gentile by reading "'Andrea Doria' Deep, Dark, and Dangerous".