Book The Stowaway on The Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joy bono

I was given the book, The Stowaway on The Titanic for Christmas. It is a wonderful told story, which presents a multicultural perspective of the gilded age. I am so excited about this book that I have told the teachers in my school about it. Next term I will use it in my fifth grade class because there are so many lessons my students can learn from this book. I would love to discuss this book with others who have read it.

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Joy,
This book was first released in 2003. A revised version is due out in January in both hardback and softcover. Apparently the hardcover edition is already available, but not the softcover version yet.

hardcover. ISBN 0595667546.
softcover. ISBN 0595331548.

I have the book, but have not yet had time to read it. My to-read pile just keeps growing and growing!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

J

joy bono

I look forward to reading your review. I am particularly interested about the details of the ship and the disaster. I think the book did a wonderful job of giving a child's impression of the ship. I also like the way the author showed a contrast between the poor section of London from where many third class people came and the modern luxuries and new technologies on the gilded age. I have been trying to get my students to understand the harsh conditions from where many immigrants were coming. The fact that this story is written in the first person will make it easy for my students to put themselves in the shoes of immigrants.

Jun 4, 2000
Thanks, Joy. Mmm, another one to keep an eye out for. Sadly it doesn't appear to have been released locally going by a standard catalogue search.

I think I'll have to ask if the library will order in a copy - I'm getting a bit sick of special orders, paying airfares for books or waiting months for canoe mail. (The library got Dick King-Smith's Just Binnie on my suggestion, so it's worth a try.)

J

joy bono

It is available at Barnes and Noble and on Amazon.com.

Jun 4, 2000
Thanks Joy, but as we don't have a Barnes & Noble here, and I don't like paying Amazon's shipping and handling, I'd rather use the gentle art of persuasion on my local library.

Good to know it's readily available in the US though. It does sound a good 'un.
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.