Books about SS Columbus Europa and Bremen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2006
Which books deal exclusively with the German liners Europa, Bremen and Columbus? I just bought Europa and Bremen by Frank O. Braynard but it was severely lacking in pictures. Such a disappointment.

I am currently reading Shadow Voyage about Bremen's escape to Germany, but are these the only two current titles besides some very old books from the Nazi era that I already have?

Apr 27, 2005
I think Maxtone-Grahame undertook the three liners to a small degree. Mind you, Columbus was not a sister shipt, but was rebuilt to conform to the appearance of the Bremen and Europa so as to give the impression of a trio of ships. I find the Gustloff looked remarkably like the Bremen and Europa, although a motor liner.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Danny- Bremen and Europa each had a lavish hardbound volume of interior photos and artwork issued in the early 1930s. If you can find either, you need not buy any other books!

Jun 23, 2006
Yes I know Columbus was not a real sister ship, but she did run in consort with Bremen and Europa. And yes Jim, I saw these books on eBay, but I haven't seen one in a long time. But I did find out there is a book in German about these liners and one more in English titled Ocean Express. Did you get my pics Jim?

Status
Not open for further replies.