Books by or about Titanic Passengers

May 12, 2005
A look through BiblioFind.com's offerings (and those of BookFinder.com)can surely turn up some gems for the Titanic bibliophile!!! Here are a few of the things I just found and wanted to pass along:

COLENAL JOHN JACOB ASTOR IV -

"A Journey in Other Worlds: A Romance of the Future" (1st ed., 1894) - $60-475

LAWRENCE BEESLEY -

"The Loss of the S.S. Titanic" (1912) - $295-390

MAJOR ARCHIBALD W. BUTT -

"Both Sides of the Shield" (1st ed., w/ dj, 1912) - $135

"Taft and Roosevelt: The Intimate Letters of Archie Butt" (2 vols, 1930) - $50-60

HELEN CHURCHILL CANDEE -

"Decorative Styles and Periods" (1st ed., 1906) - $25

"The Tapestry Book" (1912) - $25-95

LUCY, LADY DUFF GORDON (LUCILE) -

"Discretions and Indiscretions" (1932) - $185

JACQUES FUTRELLE -

"High Hand" (1911) - $20

"My Lady's Garter" (1912) - $20-50

"The Thinking Machine" (various reprints) - $14.50

MAY FUTRELLE -

"Secretary of Frivolous Affairs" (1st ed., 1911) - $75

COLENAL ARCHIBALD GRACIE -

"The Truth About Chickamauga" (1911) - $55

"The Truth About the Titanic (1913) - $225

FRANK D. MILLET -

"The Expedition to the Philippines" (1st ed., 1899) - $360

"Sebastopol" by Leo Tolstoi, translated by Millet (1st ed., 1887) - $49.95

WILLIAM THOMAS STEAD -

"Are We in the Right? An Appeal to Honest Men" (1899) - $63

"Borderland" (reprints) - $15-25

"The Life and Letters of W.T. Stead" (2 vols, 1922) - $50

"Review of Reviews" (bound vol, Jan-June 1902) - $25

"Review of Reviews" (bound vol, Jan-June 1904)

"Satan's Invisible World Displayed (Or Despairing Democracy)" (1897) - $85

"The Truth About Russia" (1888) - $78

"The United States and Europe on the Eve of the Parliament of Peace" (1st ed., 1899) - $62

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Thanks for that, Randy. Now I've got to find a second job. Or win the lottery.

Pat Cook is probably the only one of us who needs an original Beesley. The new Mariner Book softback reprint at $13 is good enough for me. It's too bad there isn't enough interest to have some of the others books you mentioned reprinted.

I found a fairly decent first edition of Archie Butts Letters awhile back. A second edition, if there was one, is probably more rare.

Don't know if this true, but I heard somewhere that bibliofind is just that -- a finder. They are not like ABEbooks or Amazon, which is a listing of what different stores have in stock -- rather, they find the books, mark them up, and then pass them on. I may be way off base here on my facts, but I do know that it definitely pays to shop around a bit.

May 12, 2005
Mike,

That's for sure. I would love to own all of the books but they're so expensive. I just thought I'd let people know what books are out there of interest concerning Titanic people.

I had no idea re: most of these books. I just punched in the names of the more famous people and was really surprised by some of the ones that popped up. I never knew JJ Astor wrote a romance novel!!! Not only that but this book is a futuristic story set in our very own year 2000!!! How wierd is that?

I also never knew Frank Millet translated Tolstoi?!!! Or that Major Butt had just published a memoir? The Titanic passengers were truly some incredibly accomplished people.

Randy

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Randy Bigham wrote:

>I also never knew ..... that Major Butt
>had just published a memoir?

Hi, Randy!

Thanks for listing all of those books written by 'Titanic personalities', old chap -- it's nice to have so much information assembled together in one place. (Major Butt's book is a novel rather than a memoir, though; I haven't read my copy yet, but it looks to be about a newspaper reporter who goes to Georgia to report on the lifestyle there.)

Mike Herbold wrote:

>I found a fairly decent first edition of Archie >Butts Letters awhile
>back. A second edition, if there was one, is >probably more rare.

Hi, Mike!

You probably already know this, but in addition to "Taft and Roosevelt: The Intimate Letters of Archie Butt," an earlier volume was published by the same editor (Abbott): "The Letters of Archie Butt." This latter book covers Butt's letters that were written during the Roosevelt administration.

All my best,

George

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
If you want to read some really boring stuff, Gilbert Milligan Tucker left behind him a legacy of about 6 of the worst books you can imagine. I bought copies of each--just to have them--they seem to run about $1.00 each.

Phillip

May 12, 2005
George,

Thanks for the correction on Butt's book. So he did a novel too? What a lit fest these guys must have had on board!

Phillip,

Tucker's books are novels, too, I'm thinking? "Dime novels" - meaning yuck - I guess?

Randy

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Phil:
Shame on you for writing disparaging remarks about Gilbert Tucker -- he's one of my California-related passengers. He must have sold a lot of dime novels to retire near Carmel. Tell me where to buy these 6 books for a dollar each and all is forgiven.
Mike

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Actually, they are mostly economic/linguistic in nature. One is called "The Self-Supporting City"--another is some sort of tome about the proper use of the English language. I have 6 books by him, can't remember the other names and haven't unpacked them since my move. Save your money.

Phillip

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Astor's "A Journey in Other Worlds" is available as a free download from the Gutenberg Project. It's amazingly prophetic. How about his traffic cops with speed cameras!