Boot Stewards

Lara Moore

Oct 1, 2011
How can I find the duties of the boot stewards? This may be a stupid question, but did they have stations on the decks for shoe shines? Or did they work from another area of the ship?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Lara. The boots stewards would presumably have done their work like those with the same role in land-based hotels - cleaning and polishing the guest's shoes while they slept. The usual arrangement was for the guests to leave their shoes outside their hotel room doors before they went to bed. In a ship this would have been a problem in rolling seas, so maybe they or the bedroom stewards knocked on the doors and collected the shoes. Can't say I know for sure where the cleaning was actually done - probably in the 'service rooms' which were scattered amongst the 1st and 2nd Class passenger cabins.

Mette McCall

Mar 27, 2011
Isn't it also correct that the "boots men" cleaned the coal dust off the deck, railings and hallways after coaling on April 6? I believe that was one of their extra duties..

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, a 3rd Class passenger could try putting his boots out in the corridor before going to bed, but it's a sure bet that's the last he would ever see of them!

Yes, they worked mostly at night but there would have been a few available at all times. These men were stewards, members of the Victualling cew. So, from our previous conversations, you must know where they ate and slept.

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
Well, a 3rd Class passenger could try putting his boots out in the corridor before going to bed, but it's a sure bet that's the last he would ever see of them!
Haha that's funny!

And I didn't know they were stewards too, so they wouldn't have a definite space and time to eat. I found that they occupied two cabins on E Deck, 6 boots were in the room on the port side of the stairs that lead to their dining saloon (sharing with other crew members), while the other 2 were in the cabin on the port side of the Grand Staircase landing (still sharing with others of course). I'm writing it just in case someone is interested (you never know...)