BOW LETTERS OF THE TITANIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2002
Has anyone ever seen the pictures of the name TITANIC on the wreck of the bow?
If anyone has the picture, could they post it because its something I would like to see.
Thanks
Greg.

Jan 31, 2001
I think that is from a video; maybe it was the National Geographic one. While I've never saw it myself, I heard that all they saw was the "C", but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jan 31, 2001
I haven't heard anything about them still being visible on the wreck. I wonder if they were made the same way as the bow letters; the letters were a sort of mold, and the paint was poured in to form them. If both sets of letters were made the same way, and those on the bow are still present, then those at the stern should be, too. I wonder if anyone has ever looked for them.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Apr 23, 2002
I think it was refered to in Ken Marschall's detailed account of the wreck.
I think from that they managed to recognise a couple of the letters.

Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

The portside bow letters were revealed in 1987 by means of Paul Henri Nargeolet's deep-submersible (NAUTILE) manipulator skills. The arm was fitted with a wire brush which can be seen in the upper corner of the video. As a result of numerous dives the faint, but discernable remains of the encised letters were captured on film. The seemingly rare video..."Live from the Titanic" (Paris, France '87 Joslyn) is to my knowledge, the only publicly released presentation of the letters. A detailed account of the feat was shared by Jennifer Carter via her work "Titanic Adventure".

In 1996 as an observer aboard the French deep submersible NAUTILE, Charles Haas attempted to film the portside letters once more...
...however, the nine-year lapse allowed the sea to takes it's toll.

Michael Cundiff
USA

Feb 17, 2005
In Ken Marschall's account of the 2001 expedition, he stated that they could faintly make out the E and R of "Liverpool" on the stern. I had heard about the letters on the portside and added them on my 1997 wreck model in the form of a T,half of the letter N and the C that I dinged up and added rusticles over.

Jun 10, 1999
Michael W.

Actually...you may want to update your wreck model. To be precise the letters T I T A N are clearly visible on the portbow. However Telly Savalas presented them in a different order. The producer had them highlighted during the presentation "Return to the Titanic live from Paris France ('87 Joslyn)" Pay a visit to Nevada sometime...yes we have gambling in Carson City as well. I'll have you over and we can take a look at the video again!

Michael Cundiff

Status
Not open for further replies.