Bow section under the mud

A

Aaron_2016

Her top decks were replaced but her main body, keel, rivets and hull plating remained intact, and are a testament to her overall durability and strength for over a century.

A

Aaron_2016

The White Star Momentos website says - 'On 1st June 2013 the SS Nomadic opened to the public in Belfast, sadly the Nomadic Charitable Trust did not fully complete the restoration as she is at present without a wheelhouse, lifeboats, a mast and rigging. In April 2015 the vessel's day to day running was handed over to Titanic Belfast (official museum)'

I was aboard her before her restoration, but haven't been on her since. Funny, but seeing her without her mast etc must have subconsciously made me put off my revisit thinking that her restoration was still ongoing. I recall reading an article that said certain fixtures and fittings could not be installed owing to health and safety and something to do with legal legislation. My guess is it had something to do with classifying the Nomadic as a ship instead of a floating museum, and so the engines and mast and lifeboats were probably not installed because they might legally class her as a ship which must meet current SOLAS regulations. Just my guess, of course. It might also have been to do with the budget. There was a great hurry to restore the ship in time for the centenary in 2012. Perhaps they redrafted the proposal and decided that certain fixtures such as the mast could be abandoned from the project to save time and complete her interior restoration?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
What!?! That Ridiculous!

I just hope they eventually get the funds to overcome this ''red tape''.

Personally, I think we can live without the bridge as this was a later feature done after the Titanic. Then again, Thomas Andrews wasn't the kind of the man who would like the quartermaster or Captain to get soaked.

Good Luck SS Nomadic.

Reactions: 1 user