Boxhall audio recording

Feb 14, 2011
I have heard snippets of Boxhall's voice, telling the tale of the Titanic disaster. Is this Boxhall narrative available in unedited form, and if so, where can I get a copy?

Tarn Stephanos

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't know if it's commercially available in an unedited form, Tarn. It was recorded by the BBC in 1962 - his family have copies of it, and it was recently used as an audio exhibit in the Hull Maritime Museum's Boxhall exhibition. It's not very long, but when listened to in its entirety is absolutely fascinating and deeply moving.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
I would just love to hear what Boxhall's voice sounded like......i've heard Lightoller's voice when he did a BBC interview.....he had such a deep and resonant.....you could barely make out his accent.....i thought maybe if one of Lightoller's recording is online.......i'm hoping maybe Boxhall is somewhere??????

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't know, Wendi - I'll have a google and see if it's gone on-line anytime recently.

Boxhall's manner is somewhat different to Lightoller's. Lightoller has the air of an accomplished storyteller - there's an ease to his manner, a confidence and pacing to how he tells of the events that night (not, I hasten to add, that he sounds at all glib). With Boxhall, it sounds more as if the words are being drawn out of him slowly and rather painfully, although there's a clarity to how he delivers them. One of the few people still around who met both Lightoller and Boxhall, Boxhall's niece, told me that the Lightollers were all lively and very conversational. She found this somewhat surprising, as she was accustomed to the seamen in her family such as Joseph Groves, her grandfather and great-uncle, who were much more quietly spoken, taciturn men.

A

Allison Lane

Figured I'd post this question in this thread since it's pretty much just repeating what Tarn asked. :D

Anyone know what documentary the sound clips on this site are taken from?

http://www.titanicnorden.com/download/ljud/boxhall.html

It sounds like it has more of Boxhall's interview than my "Voices From That Fateful Voyage" CD (or whatever it's called again, don't have it here with me at present), and therefore I'd really like to get my hands on it.
happy.gif

-Allison L.

Aug 10, 2002
Allison:
Those sound clips come from the BBC interview that was broadcast in Oct. 1962. Parts of it were used in the Boxhall Exhibit at the Hull Maritime Museum. I'm sure Inger could tell you more.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

A

Allison Lane

Eh... I know those clips are from Boxhall's BBC interview, because I have part of it on CD. I was just wondering if those particular clips from that site were from a specific documentary like something National Geographic might put out? (Isn't there some documentary that has voiceovers from Boxhall and Lightoller and maybe even Rostron and others?)

-Allison L.

May 15, 2006
I remember hearing clips of Boxhall's voice, Lightollers voce, and Rostrons voice on The Last Mysteryies of the Titanic on the discovery channel

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There are currently efforts underway to make the 1962 BBC Boxhall recording more accessible, Brigitte. I'll let you know if I hear more news.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
One thing that intrigues me is the lengthy recording, supposedly of Rostron. Is it really Rostron, or merely somebody reading his book? The version I have is on a tape called That Fatal Night.

Laura Jay

Dec 3, 2012
New England, USA
If you go do a search on Boxhall, just like Lightoller at Dunkirk, you'll find an I Was There recording of Boxhall c. 1962. He's a really quiet talker and thought he does mention Moody when he possibly means Lowe. I'm thinkin' that the Alzheimer's was starting to emerge, though long-term memories are usually unharmed. I don't think that he and Lowe moved in the same social circles so he couldn't remember his name.