Boxhall Exhibition

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I've mentioned it before elsewhere; board member Ian Bland and I worked last year with the Hull Maritime Museum's Arthur Credland and members of the Boxhall family to get a temporary exhibition on the life and career of the Titanic's Fourth Officer in the main exhibition hall at the Museum. Although due only to run for a short period of time as part of their Summer programme, the exhibition proved so successful that it was retained in part as a smaller display elsewhere in the Museum. A few bits and bobs out of my collection are still up there.

I've just heard from the curator that the exhibit is still on display, and that they've recently added more pieces associated with Boxhall. The Museum is well worth a visit for anyone interested in maritime matters, as they have a rich collection of artifacts pertaining to the area's long seafaring heritage. Many of the crew on Titanic would have been very familiar with this port - among those who wrote about it was James Moody, who was there over Christmas one year (fortunately it was close enough to Grimsby for family visits).

Ian Bland

May 31, 2009
Hello Inger. How are you? Afraid I've been out of circulation for a while. I've still got a poster that I owe you from the launch of the Hull exhibition. We were not able to get to Southampton this year as I had to spend some time in Edinburgh and it clashed. It would be good to hear from you.
Kind regards
Ian

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Ian! I'll email you privately - good to hear from you. I was wondering whether you made it to Southampton this year when I didn't see you there. Might be a bit closer to getting to the bottom of the dates for the plaque - I just need to pull it all together.

All the best,

Ing

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

Inger ... I just wanted to thank you for the poster from this exhibit. It arrived - much to my surprise - yesterday (22 Dec), and it is truly a treasure. I will send you an e-mail shortly to say more, but I wanted to post a note of thanks. It certainly was worth the wait!
happy.gif
I really do wish I could've made a trip to see the exhibit on the whole.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Courtney! I'm so glad that it made it - I was worried it might be caught up in the Christmas rush. I wanted to enclose more, but ran out of time before I left on holidays and thought it was better to at least get the poster in the mail to you (given that it was promised well over a year ago). Will write more via email.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger.......
did you happen to send my package????........just wondering......and that exhibit sounds awesome.....i plan on getting to England within the next couple of years and i hope it is still on display.....talk to you later....

Wendi

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Hello Inger: I am Mauro of Buenos Aires deseo information on exhibition. Already save that from my country I for am serving to him before any thing. Him continuous comment that in the search of Moody by my country.
Sorry for my ingles.
MAURO!!!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Wendi - I'm very concerned that you haven't received the package yet, as it went in the mail at the same time as Courtney's. Come to think of it, I don't think your fellow-Canadian Jason has received his package either. Possibly they're caught up in the Christmas mail - at any rate, they should be on the way!

Hallo again, Mauro. The posters I sent to Wendi and Courtney was related to Boxhall rather than Moody. I'll see if I can find anything else connected with Argentina for you.

Cheers -

Inger

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger........don't worry.......i'm sure i'll get it soon........there hasn't been any mail since Christmas eve........so hopefully this week sometime........i tell you when it comes in okay..........talk to ya later

Wendi

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger.......
i got your Christmas card in the mail today.....thank you and Seasons Greetings right back at cha......so did you send the card & Boxhall package together or did you send them out separately????

Wendi

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Wendi -

Christmas Card and the mail-tube went in the post together, so hopefully it should follow the card very closely.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger........
i got the Boxhall poster.......i love it......i'm going to frame it and out it up on my wall.......it's going to make an awesome edition to my Titanic collection..........THANK YOU sssssssooooooo much......talk to ya later

Wendi

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Good to hear it, Wendi! I'm glad it's such a success. Apologies that some of the images are so small, but I've seen the original photos that they were using, and I'm afraid some are quite tiny - Boxhall's wedding photo in particular. The poster is pretty much on 1:1 scale for that.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
If you have a postal address you'd like it sent to, Allison, I can pop a copy in the mail for you. You just have to bear in mind that - as Courtney and Wendy found out - I can be a bit absentminded about sending things, so it may take a while!

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

Ah, but you do come through, Inger.
happy.gif

Allison, it is indeed worth the wait.
happy.gif

As a side note, and as Inger knows, I'm in constant envy of her collection of items and material - have been since I've known her. I think I would would love to spend one day (or week - LOL!) perusing all of it ... but I probably still wouldn't get through it all.
happy.gif

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
i agree......it was ssssssssoooooooo worth the wait......and like Courtney would just love to have the collection and to talk to the people you have Inger........you so lucky.........

by the way.........if you come across any other pic's of JGB you know who you can send the to......hint.....hint.......thanks again for the poster and all the info......i have learned ssssssoooooo much JGB........but you know me.......always full of questions........

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Lol! Glad to see you weren't disappointed! If either of you ever do manage to get to Oz, you'd be welcome to visit and spend as much time as you like sifting through the drifts of paper, folders, photos etc...most of your week would probably be spent trying to sort through the anarchy!

I travel with a much more distilled lot of material in folders, so if we hook up somewhere on the globe you can roam through them.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
well Inger......i just might take you up on that.........i'm hopin to get to England next year sometime and i would just to sift through your piles of awesome Titanic info....sweet.....there now i have warned you.......lol.........later