Boxhall's life

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
As i said in my introduction......Fourth Officer Boxhall is my favorite officer.....i know when he was born and when he passed away.....his ashes were scattered over the spot where the Titanic when down.......he was the longest deck officer at sea.....retired in 1940 due to bad health......he was married.....had no children though....but he was close to one of his sisters familes.....he seemed to be a super nice person.....soft spoken.....intellegent.....and strong willed.....he seems to be be a facinating individual.......i would really like to learn more about him.......

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sounds like a prompt for me to finally get around to putting the bio for Boxhall up on our website!

Boxhall was pretty much all you suggest there, Wendi. I find him one of the most intriguing of the people who sailed on Titanic. He seems to have been tremendously popular - and respected - with those who knew him. From his early career in sail through to the years on the crack Atlantic liners and then the cruises of the 30s, he lived a fascinating and full life (although his final years were terribly sad).

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
oh you must get that bio out on Boxhall.....i'm waiting.....LOL....he was a nice looking chap in his day.....like i said he seemed to be quiet nice.......i did read some on his final years.....with poverty and him suffering from alzhiemers.......quite a sad ending to a great man......thanks Inger.....talk to ya later......

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
It's just about done, Wendy - I just need to check up on a few dates and sort out the images to go with the text.

He was indeed a nice looking chap in his day - I'm going to see if I can get permission to use some of the photos of him in his youth, and I don't think any of the photos published of him to date have half done him justice. In particular, some of the c. WWI shots are very good indeed.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
i found a couple of nice pic's of him online.....but i can't seem to post them......one is him in summer whites and the other is a side profile of him....and your right some of the pictures of him after the disaster did no justice.....of course an event like the Titanic disaster could take it's toll on a person.....and i have seen photo's which say that they are of him.....but you just look at it and you know it's not him.....

thanks again Inger.....i can't wait for the Bio and see the pics.....talk to ya later.....

oh where do i go when you have it posted?.....i'm still learning the site.....

A

Allison Lane

Good to hear that you've almost got Boxhall's bio up, Inger--I'm very much looking forward to reading it. He's my favorite officer, too.
happy.gif

-Allison L.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There are some great photos of him in the Bell Album in his whites, Wendi - is the one you're referring to the shot of him with a lifering draped around his neck?

My favourite photograph of him, although now somewhat sadly faded, was taken during WWI. He's leaning against the ship's railing, and has a white scarf muffled up around his neck. Not a glamour shot, it gives a sense of how he looked day to day during the war. He seems to have taken remarkably good profile shots - in addition to the one cropped from the photograph of the surviving officers which is seen quite often online, there's another taken in Australia in 1911 where he's wearing a light coloured shore-suit and has an almost matinee idol air - very well groomed and poised. Another - and one of the best - is a photo of him in profile wearing his RNR uniform.

The Boxhall bio will go up on our website, On Watch:

http://www.nautical-papers.com/onwatch/

Good to see you back here posting, Allison - it's been a while!

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
yes...the whites and the lifering...that's the one.....some of those other photo's sound awesome.....and i would love to see them......are they going to be with the bio????
I hope so....

A

Allison Lane

What, I'm missed? What did I ever contribute?
happy.gif

No, really, I get a lot of board stuff sent to my e-mail inbox, so I read there and generally just lurk because with such informed persons as yourself haunting the board, Inger, what could I possibly have to say?
happy.gif
(I mean that in the nicest way possible.)

Dec 8, 2000
Nothing wrong with lurking and reading, Allison. I enjoy the reading here a lot too.
happy.gif

Ing, if that's what it took to get the Boxhall bio going, standby for a daily onslaught of electronic encouragement. That's excellent news.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hi everyone......ya see what i started.......sorry to put any pressure on you Inger......but.....chop chop.....people are waiting......just kidding.....talk to ya later......and yes......i have already bookmarked the "ON Watch" page.....

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Lol! I'll see if I can get it sorted this weekend. Hope you enjoy 'On Watch', Wendi! Fi, let me know when you've tamed the inbox - I'll send you the draft Boxhall bio page for comment (although I'm sure the last thing you want to do at this point is trudge through my dodgy text). Allison, as the others have said, there's nothing wrong at all with lurking and reading. Just don't ever refrain from commenting as well if you feel like it - you do have a worthwhile contribution to make!

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger.....i don't mean to be a pain in the butt......but you wouldn't happen to have any photo's of Boxhall that i can put in my private Titanic officers collection.......just wondering......later

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I've got a few, Wendi - I'm going to need access to a scanner for some of them, but I'll see if I already have some in electronic format on my cantankerous old laptop.

On a related note - I know I've promised a lot of people material once I've got the home office set up...looks like that might finally be happening. We've signed up for broadband, brought a new machine and wireless equipment, and are going to network the three computers at home. Might finally get around to digging out all the stuff that's stored on the dinosaur!

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
thanks ssssssssooooooooo much Inger.....you're awesome.........good luck with your home office set up..........hope it makes things easier for you in the future.......later

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

You can count me in this group as well, Inger (as you know). Looking most forward to reading up on JGB.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Great to see you here at last, Courtney!

Courtney - by way of introduction to those who haven't yet had the pleasure of 'meeting' her - is the person who contributed the first bio of James Moody to ET...wwwaaaaayyyy back, before the messageboard even existed, and when the site was still 'Passengers and Crew'. She's one of the pioneers in this research.

Now I'm really feeling the pressure to get this Boxhall material sorted out
happy.gif
But it's all good - sometimes I need that extra bit of focus.

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

Thank you for the very kind "introduction," Inger (feel myself turning a bit red as you know I tend to be a bit of a quiet one). I feel mostly an amateur researcher as compared to so many of the wonderful folks here. Just glad to contribute where I can.
happy.gif

Bring on the Boxhall material!

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
so ah Inger..........how's that bio coming on Boxhall.........don't mean to be a pain.......i'm just really anxious to read it.......later