Boxhall's wife

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
I have learned so much about Boxhall in this site and i really appreciate the info.......thanks much.......so another thing i want to know more about is JGB's wife.......how did they meet......did they know each other at the time of the disaster.......or did they meet after the war.........i'm sure she was a wonderful woman........what did she look like........because of the age JGB and Marjorie got married, did they figure it was too late to have children or they just didn't want any????......ya know me......just curious is all

Wendi

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Wendi! I'll try to get something to you in the post with the Christmas mail, as I've completely missed sending promised things to you and Courtney.

I don't know if Marjory and Joseph knew each other at the time of the Titanic disaster, or indeed when they first met, but if they were acquainted in 1912 they were not romantically involved. Joseph, by the beginning of WWI, was engaged to a woman from Australia. Whether he knew her at the time he joined the Titanic is another question - her son believed they met after the Titanic and before the war, but there is a chance that he had known her as early as 1911 when he was on the Australian run. Their engagement terminated during WWI, and it was after this period that he married Marjory.

Marjory was not - as that very overused phrase goes - 'conventionally beautiful'. One of the family observed to me that she found it quite unusual, given the beautiful socialites who had pursued him as a ship's officer, that Joseph opted to marry someone who, if not unattractive, was quite plain. I'll see if I can get a copy of their wedding photo scanned for you (unfortunately the image is very small, and you may not get enough of a sense of what she looked like).

She was a very active, energetic woman, with a very strong personality. Towards the end of her life she did pick up a few eccentricities and could sometimes become easily offended, but she was - like her husband - a very generous person. I don't know why they decided not to have children, or even if it was a conscious decision. They seem to have liked children, and to have been very fond of their dogs (child substitutes?). Her correspondence after the death of her husband, describing his last years, is very moving.

Glad you like the rewritten bio! I may tinker with it some more soon, but would like to get updated Moody, Lowe and Murdoch biographies up first. MAB has posted a great sketch of Boxhall at the time of the US inquiries.

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
thanks again Inger........you're always gushing with info.......i really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.........i have learned so much about JGB since i joined this site........and i am so looking forward to recieving promised things in the mail.......if not in the Christmas mail.......whenever......i mean that....you're probably really busy and i really hate being a pest..........thanks again Inger......

Wendi

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

Another thank you, Inger, for the info on Marjory. I had wondered myself the timeline of their relationship, as well as what she may have been like.

It is/was true that Boxhall continued correspondence with his first fiancé (the Australian) even after having married Marjory, correct? (I believe this was buried deep in another thread ... forgive me for forgetting which one). I found that quite intriguing.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Not a problem, ladies (Wendi - I love the description using 'gushing' -
grin.gif
. It seems very appropriate on occasion!). I'm only sorry that I've been so busy the last few months that I'm behing in the post. Christmas cards and gifts are well behind schedule as well, but I'll get them done in one fell swoop. Or at least that's the plan...

Courtney, Joseph and his ex-fiancé did remain in touch for many, many years, and he even visited her at least once. Given the circumstances under which the romantic relationship terminated, it's remarkable that they continued to write in later years, and rather poignant.

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

"... given the circumstances under which the romantic relationship terminated ..."

Is this anything you can elaborate on, Inger?
happy.gif
(If not, I understand). I'm guessing it was perhaps not an amicable parting?

Also ... I meant to ask you re: your previous post, the sketch of Boxhall at the hearings ... where is/was that posted? I'd love to see that.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'll email you the story, Courtney (when I answer your last message! Apologies I haven't done that yet). Suffice it to say, it was terminated abruptly and in such a way that poor Boxhall would be justified in feeling aggrieved (and this is the version from the family of the woman involved). It's a rather tragic little tale...but it does show Boxhall as rather a class act.

The Boxhall sketch has been posted by Mark on his ET bio:
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/1321/

I thought there was a similar sketch in Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy but was wrong - it must be one of the ones I have in my collection of newspaper sketches from the inquiry. That would make a good page of illustrations in itself - newspaper sketch images of the major players involved. There are quite a few, varying in qualities. The Lowe depiction in T:T&T from the Halifax Morning Chronicle is rather good (much more successful than the Boxhall caricature from the same paper but apparently different artist - I wouldn't have recognised him). Senan has contributed another good Lowe sketch to ET as well. I've got a couple more in my collection, including a dreadful boxy one from an American paper (they were more successful with their Fleet sketch). Lowe seems to have been a comparatively easy subject for the sketchers - more so than Boxhall and Lightoller, who were comparatively difficult to capture. Boxhall looks shifty in at least one version, and almost childlike in another.

[Moderator's Note: The link in this message has been updated and is current as of 28 April 2006. MAB]

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger......
i would also be interested in hearing the story of JGB's first engagement and what happened......can i see the story to........please!!!!!

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

As always, Inger, thanks so much for all the additional info.
happy.gif
Will look forward to hearing more!

Vicki Logan

May 15, 2003
Good Morning Inger,
I've been catching up on my reading after the Christmas holidays, so I just picked up this thread. I too am interested in Boxhall's first engagement. If it would not be too much to ask I would enjoy reading your information. I always enjoy the history and life stories of the passengers and crew.
Sincerely,
Vicki Logan

Wendi Ignace

Aug 4, 2004
hey Inger......
it's just lil ol' me here to bug you again.....lol.....i was just wondering when you might be sending out that story's of JGB's first engagement......i really anxious to read about it....if you can....maybe you can e-mail to me....if you can that would be ssssssssssoooooooooooooo awesome........

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Wendi - apologies, I thought I'd sent it! I'll see what's in my outbox and will write to you, hopefully over the weekend.

Jun 12, 2004
Still waiting on your response to my last email from about, ohhhhh, three or five months ago. :p I was thinking that you forgot about me, hehe. As for the information on Joseph's engagement, I'd be interested in reading that, too, Inger.

By the way, how are you doing? I hope your life is treating you well.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I am sometimes delayed in answering emails, Mark - I get a tremendous amount of mail, and many requests for information or lookups that I don't have to hand and have to put aside until I can sort through information and answer. Given that I have a job that I love (but which can be demanding on time) and many interests outside the Titanic, as well as time I need to allocate to research and writing, emails can get lost in the pile! I'll see if I can find your last message and respond to it.

I'm very well at the moment, thank you (albeit, as you might have gathered, quite busy!). Hope you're likewise chuffing along at a good rate of knots.

Jun 12, 2004
Oh, Inger, I was only teasing. Nothing serious, really, so please don't feel like I'm applying undue and unnecessary pressure. You're going crazy with work, and so am I. I understand, believe me. Please, don't worry.

By the way, I have a job I love as well, but it does keep me going, as so it should. Nothing like doing what you love to do (writing, in my case). That makes the work so much pleasurable.

I am also interested that information on Joseph - but when you have the chance. First things first.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I know you weren't having a dig, Mark
happy.gif
I just get anxious because there is more than a kernal of truth in the idea that I can be atrocious at managing my emails. I operate on a sort of triage basis - moderating matters first, then quick one liners, then the epics...

C

Courtney M. Hedberg

"I operate on a sort of triage basis - moderating matters first, then quick one liners, then the epics ..."

LOL! I'm going to have to remember this one, Inger.
happy.gif

"All good things to those who wait" is generally my motto with the e-mails ... and it never fails that Inger's are ALWAYS worth the wait.
happy.gif