Boy's Book of the Sea by Eric Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Diehl

May 5, 2005
Every Boy's Book of the Sea by Eric Wood
Anyone able to offer information? Found posting on titanicbooksite.com, though my copy is titled Every Boy's Book, rather than The Boy's Book - I've searched rare and antiquarian sites to no avail, not even a mention. Any and all tidbits will be greatly appreciated.
Anna

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Anna. I see from the Titanic Booksite that the details and picture of the book shown there were provided by Patty Miller. Patty is a member here, but in case she doesn't see this thread you might want to contact her through her profile page:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=patty_miller-users

Incidentally, we also have an Erik Wood here. In his workplace Erik was often referred as 'the old man', but even so he's probably not the Eric Wood who was writing in 1915!

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Anna,

Since, I myself do not own the book, I have come
across, no further information for you.
I have searched several web sites , to try to find information for you, but to no avail.
Does your book, have the chapter in it, "The Tragedy of a Wonder Ship", which is about Titanic?
Does it have the same cover? If I obtain, any
information, I will contact you, or post here.

Sincerely, Patty

Anna Diehl

May 5, 2005
Hey Patty,

This book does have that chapter in it - truly, only difference is the slight change in title. Well, that and this one isn't pristine as the other book's cover. I've even googled the name written inside (Geoffrey Pirie, for the curious).

Got a reply from Michael Tennaro, who said he was unsuccessful in finding anything as well. He did say that this is probably a later edition. Certain now - while the cover, title page and page one of Chapter 1 is written Every Boy's Book, title line on top of all other pages is The Boy's Book.

I do appreciate your help -
Anna

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Anna, please send me your email again...the one
you sent before, got lost in cyber space...that way when/if I do get some information, I can just
email you privately. I am still looking, thanks Patty

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Patty:
I don't have "Every Boy's Book of the Sea" either, but do own one called "The Boys' Book of Steamships" written by J.R. Howden that has this hand-written note on the first inside page: "2nd edit. 1913 This edition contains a reference to the TITANIC disaster."

The first edition was 1908 and the second November 1913. The Titanic reference is only about a page long, starting at 229.

What I find interesting is that Howden also wrote the following titles:
The Boys' Book of Locomotives
The Boys' Book of Warships
The Boys' Book of Railways

And in the first few pages there are listings for other Boys' Books of....
...Modern Marvels (by J.L. Clarke),
...Aeroplanes (by T. O'Brien Hubbard & Chas. C. Turner)
...Stamp Collecting (by Douglas B. Armstrong)

'Boy's Books' was a catchy serial title in the early 1900s. I wonder if Erik Wood wrote any on other subjects?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I recall from my own childhood in the 1950's that The Boys' book of ... was still a very common generic title in bookstores in the UK, though it sounds very old-fashioned now. There was a Boys Book of the Sea published at that time also, by Nicholas Monsarrat (author of The Cruel Sea.)

Anna Diehl

May 5, 2005
I've found reference to a number of boy's books by Eric Wood. Title page on this one (Book of the Sea):
By Eric Wood, Author of "The Boy's Book of Heroes," "The Boy Scouts' Roll of Honour," etc., etc.
How many books does one have to write to get 2 etceteras?

About Monsarrat, I've seen reference to his Boy's Book of the Sea quite frequently. I hadn't realized just how many Boy's Books there were.

Jun 4, 2000
Further to Bob's childhood memories, The Boy's Book of... annuals formed part of my father's childhood reading in the 1930s, and thus part of ours in turn. Alas, we had the editions of The Boy's Book of the Sea sans Titanic. I've got into the habit of checking through any of The Boy's Book of... series I spot in bookshops now, just in case.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Just did a quick Google search for The Girls' book of ... and found such themes as Wisdom, Love, Friendship and Success. Maybe that's why boys become men who are less well trained in any of these areas (though we do know a lot about ships and locomotives). :)

S

Susan Leighton

"(though we do know a lot about ships and locomotives). :)"

....and plumbing, which I appreciate, very much.

Jun 11, 2000
Find me a bloke who knows about plumbing! or electrics, or who even owns a drill. I speak as someone scouring the neighbours trying to find someone who can put up my new curtain tracking for me, and install a garden tap. Must be all 'new men' round my way, busy tree-hugging and bonding...

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sorry, Monica, can't manage plumbing, electrics or curtain rails, but if you need a locomotive or a nuclear reactor installed I'm your man. You see, that was the problem with all those Boy's Books of this and that - they never contained any information that was remotely useful. At the onset of puberty I searched in vain, for instance, for the Boys' Book of Girls.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Bob,

Thank you for that..I was tired and really needed a good laugh...you just supplied that laugh for me. But would it not be a great comparison, to read a "Boys book of Girls" written in 1912 compared to one written in 2005? Do you suppose the the 2005 version would mention body piercings which are so popular today.

Status
Not open for further replies.