Break up starting where the superstructure met the hull.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
I was moving a rather heavy model of a ship the other day and I noticed that when not lifting it evenly at the bow or stern the model (just like a real ship) began to hog. What was interesting though is that this model, which was made up of several pieces put together, started to come apart from where the superstructure would be on Titanic. This got me thinking about the break up and rather it occurred not from the top down or the down up but from beneath the superstructure, so I threw this together. Hope it makes sense; it’s a word vomit of the idea so anyone feel free to mess around with it.
  1. The stern wants to go down, this creates an upwards pressure on the hull, and this causes a separation that begins at the superstructure. The stress is centered between the forward and aft towers. The double bottom is also compressed upwards.
  2. Either individually or at the same time the forward edge of the forward tower and aft edge of the aft tower begin, and the forward edge of the forward double bottom piece and the aft edge of the aft double bottom piece give in.
  3. The superstructure breaks allowing the stern to fall.
  4. The two superstructure tower pieces come off, with the forward probably going first and the forward one disconnecting as soon as its submerged due the water pushing it upwards but the sinking of the hull forward pushing it downwards allowing the hinge that was created on its aft side to break. (This could also indicate what some may have thought was the ‘bow’ resurfacing.) It is also possible that the aft tower piece is connected to the forward tower piece and they eventually break apart.
  5. The forward edge of the double bottom is bent downwards as the stern lands on an even keel, but as the stern rises it is again compressed upwards, this edge gives and the bow section floats away.
  6. The boilers and coals spill out. Possibly the forward engine as well or this engine stays until the double bottom tears off.
  7. As the stern begins to sink the double bottom pieces flips aft (maybe even folding back on itself).
  8. The double bottom comes off as a whole, hardly holding together, but they eventually break apart close to the ocean floor. The large wreckage next to the double bottom also comes off.

Attached is a rough pictorial of the above.
titanic drawing 2.png