Bremen and Europa sister ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Were the beautiful German liners "Bremen" and "Europa" identical sister ships? I have seen a dramatic photo of the " Europa", sunk in a harbor up to her superstructure, after having rammed the sunken "Paris"...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
They were sisterships, which means they were built to the same plans. But there are always minor changes between sisterships.
(I am not sure what the differences were, though)
Brent

S

Stefan Christiansson

Where did you see that photo? Would like to see that myself.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Stefan,
I believe the photo Tarn is referring to is on page 393 of "The Only Way to Cross" by John Maxtone-Graham.

Josh.

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
From waht I can recall one of the ships - and I think it was 'Bremen' - had pear shaped funnels when seen from above, and t'other had oval shaped funnels.

Now my question - did they both carry catapults ?

C

Christopher Henry

Yes- they both had catapults, however, they were taken off in 1935 because it was too costly.

Jan 7, 2002
Pity Titanic didnt have a catapult and a large rubber band..she could have flung her passengers to the Californian.....

Tarn Stephanos

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
There were some differences between them including the shape of the funnels, rudder structure, forward end of the superstructures, a different lounge behind the funnels, boiler room vents and the size of the bulbous bow and rake of the stem. Mechanically I believe they were the same however. While not identical twins, they were certainly sisters with differences between them similar in magnitude to the differences between Lusitania and Mauretania.

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Reigel is right there, most of the diferences existed as 2 ships built in different yards, just as lusitania and mauretania had differences from being built in diferent yards. the most notable difference is bremen's bow appears to be slightly sharper than europa's and also if you look in the bridge area in pics youll notice some differences. which brings to mind an interesting notice between britannic and titanic, besides that britannic had huge oversized davits, if you look at the deck area right below britannics bridge youll notice a difference in the window arrangement, look at both rows.

Jun 23, 2006
I just received the book Bremen and Europa by Frank O. Braynard and it's such a disappointment. The picture quality is very poor, there are maybe two stills of the interiors and overall the number of pictures is severely lacking.

Also the layout of the text does NOT invite one to read at all. Are there better books about these liners available? Besides Shadow Voyage?

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I also have the book and quit reading it toward the end. It repeats itself, has many typos, and is just plain not "reader friendly." It is definitely not one of F.O.B.'s better works. It even mentions an appendix that is not there!

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.