Bring it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Good Morning All,

I hate to say this but I agree with Inger on almost all of the things written in the prior post above. As most around here could tell you I am not all that happy with the recovery and entery into Titanic. But this is a touchy subject. I just had this conversation with Johan Ooddleson who is a Captain for Norweigen Cruise Lines and he and I are of the opinon that it is one thing to recover debris from the field and it is grave robbery to enter and remove things. Buttons from jackets glasses boots laying next to each other almost obiviously means that at one time is where a body lay and to remove those things is in my mind and my mind only is grave robbery. Now I do believe that studying the wreck as well as removing dishes and such from the debris field and debris field only. Those are just my thoughts. I do respect everybodies right to an opinion that is just mine. I guess as I said prior I am just old fashion.

Erik

Jul 5, 2000
Hey Everyone!

Cut Shane some slack! If that's his opinion, let him share. That's what this mesage board is for.

I have some mixed feelings about this topic. I hate the idea of anyone making money off Titanic. I also am not too crazy about the idea of disturbing the graves of the poor souls who perished aboard or even those who had survived the tragic sinking. However, I do see somewhat of a need to preserve the artifacts aboard the ship to teach future generations and to leave the legacy of the 1500 passengers.

Personally, I think that a number of things should be brought up but the ship and the majority of belongings of the passengers should remain in their final resting place.

REGARDS,
ADRIANNE

S

Shane Kruger

Hi there all,
Well there has been a bit of movement from my posting. I have been away and only just returned.
I want to say from the start that I do now think any one should profit from this disaster.....
I fully agree that any personal item recovered should go to family. ( if possible ) As I said in the begining I am placing myself in the position of a passenger and I would not want my belongings left to rot away. This is my view and I do not expect any one else to agree with me. When you think of the wonderful interior of the ship just disapearing day by day when we could maybe rescue some parts for all to understand how "great" a ship she was.I am very sorry if any one thinks I would condone disturbing the mass grave but i feel the preservation of the artifacts is important.

Shane.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Adrianne, nobody had a problem with Mr. Kruger posting his opinion per se. The problem was merely that he was repeating what he had posted on several other threads without really explaining himself.

Shane, the interior of the ship is indeed deteriorating, as well as the rest of the hull, however as to understanding the ship, there's a lot of material out there already which can help you do just that. The Titanic Inquiry Project has the transcripts available on line from both investigations which should be a good place to start, or you can get hardcopy(books!) with the transcripts from either the Congressional Research Service or Amazon.com. If you can get them, The Shipbuilder Volumns One and Two have articals reprinted from that magazine which are an absolute goldmine of information on the Titanic, the Olympic and dozens of other transatlantic liners built between 1907 and 1914.

These are just a few examples of the material which exists. Understanding is indeed worthy, but you need not grab trinkets from the wreck to acheive that. You can buy some excellent books on the subject yourself, or just go to the library.

Or you can just ask questions here. There are a lot of people here on this board including dedicated researchers and authors as well as some hard core enthusiasts such as myself who can help you out...to say nothing of the links page and the research already published here.

Give a try.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks everybody, and Shane, I honestly hope you take advantage of the resources available here. I've learned more in the past four months just hanging around here then I have anywhere else, and all from the comfort of my own home.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi everyone!

I know that this subject has created many discussions but have been thinking on this for a long time.

I used to think that take anything from the Titanic or debris field who be like stealing graves but I'm kind of changing my mind... I still believe that Titanic is a great grave for more than 1000 people but I still belive that would be better to take as much as you can from down there. And I justify my ideas with this simple "vision of the future" (lol, sorry but don't know how to call it!!), there will always be movies and books about the Great Titanic but one day (and it's not so far away) the ship herself will crash down and disapear, under the mud and eaten by those "bugs". And there's nothing we can do about it, because we aren't smart enough yet to be able to preservate the ship. Now if this is going to happen for certainly I am forced to believe that we've got to take things for there, and as many as we can because one day people won't even believe that Titanic really existed. BUT, there's some things like personal things (glasses, clothes, and these kind of things) that should remain there, anyway they won't say much to the ones who look at them.
Now, there's another really important thing:
ALL THE ARTIFACTS SHOULD REMAIN TOGETHER, AS A COLLECTION, AND SHOULD BELONG TO SOME TITANIC INCORPORATION, WITH NO UNDERLINES SAYING THAT ANY ARTIFACT CAN BE SOLD.

Well, this is my idea,
Titanic is a grave, but because of being a grave, should be rememberd forever.

Sincerely,
Cátia Lamy

L

Leslie Leeke

Andrew, RMS Titanic Inc. owns the salvage rights on the Titanic and they have to make periodic dives on her and map, preserve and bring up artifacts to maintain their rights to the Titanic.
Hence, this is very expensive and bringing up items to exhibit and sell is what pays the bills. Ballard screwed up in 1985 when he did not bring up at least one rivet or something and than file for the salvage rights to keep it out of others hands. I seen the exhibit in Cincinnati,Ohio and enjoyed seeing things that was always believed out of reach. I just wish I could have touched a piece of her. And that's one mans opinion. LES

F

Frans J. Vossenberg

Hi everbody! Did you know that George Tulloch is going to raise the real titanic? If he is can you tell me how he is going to do that? And if he does raise it where will it be kept? Email me at [email protected] Thanks!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Frans, George Tulloch won't be doing anything of the kind. Raising the entire wreck at the current state of the art is quite impossible. And I suspect if it ever does become possible, there won't be that much left to raise up. Time, saltwater and iron eating bacteria are steadily eating away at the wreck. Eventually, all that will be left will be a patch of iron ore at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Even if the technology existed, Tulloch still wouldn't be doing it. RMS Titanic Inc. is the sole owner as salvor in possession, and they fired him a few years ago.

Just out of curiousity, where did you hear that story from anyway?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

F

Frans J. Vossenberg

Oh hey I just heard that my teacher told me that she saw this on the discovery channel. She saw that somebody or George Tulloch is going to raise the real titanic not the hull and i am not joking on this email me again at [email protected]

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi--I bet I can shed some light on this. When Tulloch brought up "The Big Piece" (which is just a small section of the hull)the Discovery Channel touted it as "Raising the Titanic." I think your teacher must have seen a re-run of this program. The piece was actually raised in 1998 or '99.
Hope this helps.
Tracey McIntire

F

Frans J. Vossenberg

No this does'nt help!!! I am serisous my teacher said that there going to raise the real titanic not the hull. And it was on the discovery channel she said that there going to raise it in pieces.

T

Tracey McIntire

Well I don't think that will happen anytime soon. The judge in charge of the court that controls the salvage rights has forbidden RMS Titanic Inc. to touch the hull. They are only allowed to bring up artifacts. They would have to go to court to challenge this. This would be the District Court in Norfolk, Virginia, which is where I work. I haven't heard of this happening.
Sorry I can't help you.
Tracey McIntire

T

Tracey McIntire

I believe the wording of the judge's order was that the hull could not be cut into in any way in order to retrieve artifacts from inside the ship. So I guess basically that leaves only the debris field from which to gather artifacts.

Tracey McIntire

Dec 31, 2000
Thank you Tracey! I was reading the report of the 2000 expedition and that appears to be true.
they only collected from the "debis field" or "artifact field", which RMS Titanic Inc. seems to prefer to call it.

Many Thanx

Beverly

Status
Not open for further replies.