Bring it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

I checked out the Troll site but it just so happens that I didn't find anything that cut into my humorous soul. The same went for the Flame Warrior site, nothing piqued my curiosity, oh well!

Haven't seen Franny around lately. Guess we scared her off. Hee Hee.

Yours, Teri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm an assistant editor on the Archaeology Board in the Delphi Forums, and I deal with all kinds of oddballs, including the hostile sort, so these sites did strike a cord with me.
wink.gif

Remind me to tell a few war stories later. I've got some real doozies up my sleeve.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

L

Lissa Metzler

It saddens me a great deal for you to say that the raising the Big Piece was a "laughable spectacle". I work at the Seattle Titanic exhibit and see the Big Piece almost everyday. This 15 ton piece helps people to relate better to the great ship. The bringing up of the Big Piece was an incredible task.

Apr 7, 2001
Dear Lissa,

My understanding on this thread is that raising the "whole thing" was a laughable matter, not raising just the "big piece" was a laughable matter.

But what this gal's teacher is saying is totally hilarious!!

Dear Michael,

War stories - - yikes!!! Hey I didn't know you were an editor on the Arch Board, that's cool!

Teri
http://www.bruceismay.com

Jun 10, 1999
Hello all:

As for your standing on raising a significant section of the ravaged TITANIC hull...now this depends are your personal interpretation of the matter.

You know how I see it? It is a lasting testament to that arrogant aura which seemed to have dominated that socilate Edwardian era. Oblivious to the power of GOD...

How dare they?

Let the "Big Piece" stand forever as a firm representation of the infallability of man. His
fraility is only secured by the gift of a mind
granted upon him.

But never, never, not ever try and out-do the great almighty!!

Michael Cundiff
U. S. A.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Teri, my function is more of that as a cop to keep the nasties and the spammers out of the forum. Most of the time, it's no big deal as the regular posters are pretty well behaved. However, we do get the occasional flake, and occassionally, there is one guy who posts stuff so offensive and blatantly racist that it defies belief! He gets banned of course, but then he registers a new name, and there he is back in your face again. As a network administrator, I'm sure you can appriciate the problems.

Lissa, I can assure you that I find the effort to raise the Big Peice anything but laughable. In concept, it looked like a simple problem, but it was anything but simple in execution. They lost it the first time, and had to chase down a lift bag that got loose in the bargain. When they went back on the following expidition to get it, they nearly lost it again. It may have looked like a Keystone Kops operation on film (I watched the Discovery presentations) but it would have been all too easy for somebody to get killed in this effort.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hello all.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, and I admit I haven't read this thread through in its entirety, but I seem to remember before the Titanic was found how I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted them to raise the ship and bring her home to Belfast, and I remember the disappointment when I heard she was in pieces.

As dodgy as Raise the Titanic was as a film, I bet many of you still get a thrill when you see her being towed into New York harbour and the cheering housands in the harbour.

I know that is now a pipe dream, and I know that many of us wish to respect the views of survivors and their familys, but was I alone in longing to see her raised?

BTW, Teri, I've really enjoyed your posts lately...you are a veritable First Class Passenger of the Board!

Actually there's one!! Of the almost 1316 (don't know where I got that number from!) members on the message board, in terms of knowledge, fun etc., who is the JJ Astor and Molly Brown and who are the naff third class people clawing their way to the top (!)

I make an instant personal disclaimer by claiming cancellation of voyage due to premonition!

Regards

Sam

(ps you would never have guessed I'm in one of my mad moods tonight!)

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Quote: "I know that is now a pipe dream, and I know that many of us wish to respect the views of survivors and their familys, but was I alone in longing to see her raised?

Count me in. Amongst the many emotions I felt when Ballard found her was a huge disappointment that she could never be raised due to the damage.

It still gets to me when I see that once magnificent ship lying broken and rusted on the sea bed. For me, Cussler's book (and the film) fed my imagination by hypothesising not just an intact ship, but a near pristine one as well. For an idea of how she appears in my dreams, try this site and click on the "Pictures" tab. (I think Jan put this site up some time ago.) Spooky stuff...

Regards,
Paul
(Naff 3rd class person, still hanging around F Deck)
happy.gif

Apr 7, 2001
My Dearest Sam,

Sorry about your bad mood. May I cheer you up, friend?

Thank you so very much for the beautiful compliment on my postings and for allowing me to be a veritable First Class Passenger of the Board, your compliment was well received and greatly admired... I don't think anyone has made such a nicer compliment to me on this board. I am truly overcome with exhultation here. J

Sam you are not alone in your wish to see the Titanic raised for I too, would love to see modern technology bring her up and take her back home to Belfast!!! That would be my dream come true, forever. I only hope they do so before she is gone! Those bacteria need to stay away from our cargo!!!! How about we claim a war with them, waddya think?

Regarding your statement of <FONT COLOR="119911">"..you are a veritable First Class Passenger of the Board!" I'm not quite sure whether you were jesting or whether you were serious about this statement but one of my first reactions to it was one of <FONT COLOR="119911">Wow, but another reaction was one of ironic similarity to my earlier postings (Introduce Yourself, Titanic: My Life As Bruce Ismay ).

I did not have the honor of seeing "Raise the Titanic" but you are probably right that I would get a thrill seeing her being towed into New York harbour and seeing the cheering of the thousands of people in the harbour. Those are exactly the type of things I love seeing!

Okay Sam I got lost on this comment: <FONT COLOR="ff0000">"Actually there's one!! Of the almost 1316 (don't know where I got that number from!) members on the message board, in terms of knowledge, fun etc., who is the JJ Astor and Molly Brown and who are the naff third class people clawing their way to the top (!)"

Okay Paul & Sam - What is "naff"?

Yours Truly,

Teri

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Absolutely!

Extremely naff = very uncool = S club 7 = coffee with gone-off milk (costing &pound;2.50) served by Judi Dench gone disasterously wrong...bless her!
proud.gif

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
naff= an extremely poorly chosen word by myself to describe certain members as pathetic.

I feel genuinely, suitably, ashamed that I associated third class passengers of the Titanic with such people.

Myself for instance.

BTW, Teri, it was as unironic and genuine a compliment as you will ever receive!

Regards

Sam

Apr 7, 2001
Sam,

Okay thanks again for the genuine compliment!

I surely appreciate your upfront communication with regards to 3rd class passengers, but what the h - - - do you mean when you say you chose a poor word for 3rd class passengers???

Teri

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Teri

In my post above from May 11th I used the phrase "naff third class people"

"Naff" is a mild derogatory term (as explained by Ben and Paul) and I was out of line in the context in which I used it.

I can see that now in retrospect, and I retract the phrase.

Although it's a small point and relatively unimportant, I would be a little upset if anyone else used it.

Sorry for any offence.

Regards

Sam

Apr 7, 2001
Sam,

Actually, I wasn't offended at all. So don't worry about the phrase used on your previous posting dated May 11th. I was really only trying to get an explanation from you as to what exactly you were trying to convey there on that posting.

I'm still a little in question as to what you meant but I guess I can drop it for now...

Teri

Status
Not open for further replies.