Britannic Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
I recently bought Simon Mills' "Hostage to Fortune". There is a fold out rigging plan of the ship with her hospital ship modifications.
The color notations for the funnels are "yellow".
I have seen a number of paintings that have represented the funnel color as buff. Since these are H&W plans it is certain that H&W knew the difference between buff and "yellow". My personal feeling is that the yellow is probably
yellow ochre which has been used as a ship color for hundreds of years. It is a dull yellow as opposed to a bright lemon yellow. The yellow stripes on the side of HMS Victory are this yellow ochre color.

In black and white photos we see the lower part of deckhouses and the sides of the raised roofs over the smokeroom and lounge painted a darker color. The plan does not specify the color. My opinion is that it is the "dark mast" color of the masts and well deck dadoes.

Anybody have any thoughts on this matter?

Regards,
Bob Read

Jan 14, 2001
Hi Bob,

Judging from the B&W photos I've seen in books, I think that Chris Murray's HMHS Britannic model ( Chris Murray's Britannic ) is the one that is closer to reality in terms of colour and detail. It would be a good idea to try to contact Chris directly.

Best regards,
Michail

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Michail:

You stated: "Chris Murray's HMHS Britannic model is the one that is closer to reality in terms of colour...". How can we say that one model is
"closer to reality" if we really don't know what
"reality" was in the first place? We have no color photos so we can't know if a shade is correct or not. This is exactly why I'm starting back at the primary sources (H&W rigging plan) and am trying to make some educated guesses with at least some foundational support. In the end, my opinions won't necessarily get us any closer to the truth.
What I'm trying to rule out are clear errors such as the funnels being buff.

As far as contacting Chris there are a few problems. There is no e-mail address with his
submission to TRMA. Secondly, I am persona non grata with the TRMA. Thirdly, it is my opinion that TRMA has ceased to be a serious research forum. That is why I posed this question here.
I believe that ET is now the preeminent Titanic
site if it wasn't always.

Is it your opinion that Chris had some special
insight gained from sources that you or I do not have access to? Thanks for your input, Michail.

Regards,
Bob Read

Status
Not open for further replies.