Britannic crew list and new photos of crew members

Simon Weir

Oct 21, 2017
Hi there, my ancestor was Duncan Campbell McTavish, 4th Officer on Britannic. Do you possibly have any info on him and his photograph? I know he served on the RMS Baltic after this?

A

Aaron_2016

Hi there, my ancestor was Duncan Campbell McTavish, 4th Officer on Britannic. Do you possibly have any info on him and his photograph? I know he served on the RMS Baltic after this?
Ancestry.com has him recorded on the following crew lists.

Duncan Campbell McTavish
3rd officer - RMS Adriatic - 1919
3rd officer - RMS Cedric - 1919
Passenger - SS Imperator - 1920
2nd officer - SS Oneka - 1921
Chief officer - SS Baron Cawdor - 1943

Ancestry also contains viewable copies of his certificates, including his Master's certificate.

Simon Weir

Oct 21, 2017
Brilliant, many thanks. I have a few of his records but not these. What did you search under?

A

Aaron_2016

Brilliant, many thanks. I have a few of his records but not these. What did you search under?

With Ancestry I searched for his name and looked under Immigration and Travel. Among his records were his 1st mate certificate, 2nd mate certificate, Masters certificate, and Extra Masters certificate.

One example:

McTavish.PNG

Jan 5, 2001
Simon

Welcome aboard!

I've got a thick file of papers relating to Britannic's officers and including McTavish. If you'd like, I'll be happy to look him up for you and go through what I have got.

Best wishes

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Simon

I've found I have a photo of him, but it was shared with me by another researcher so perhaps it might be easier to put you in touch directly. Could you maybe send me a private message (PM)?

Remco Hillen also wrote an article about his career which you may have seen already? It was published over ten years ago. I hadn't noticed earlier but you said you had a few of McTavish's records, so I wonder if what I have is partly duplicating what you already have. I note his original certificate of competency was lost in Britannic's sinking but he obtained a duplicate on 10 January 1917. I have his basic career papers and all the crew lists which contain his sign ons for Britannic, which tracks his promotion from when he first joined the ship plus personal details such as age, full name, address etc. After 1917, I've got a record of all the ships he served through to August 1944.

Best wishes

Mark.