Britannic First Class Playroom

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
The Children's Playroom was an addition on Britannic that was located on the port side of the second funnel casing, in the opposite location of the Gym. I can only assume that the decor would have been similar to that of the Gym. There are no known photographs of the Children's Playroom or of Britannic's gym. I can only assume that the decor of Britannic's gym would have been like her sisters, I see no reason why it would have been modified.

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks Steve for the info!

I've never really heard if any modifications were made to the gym or not. HospitalshipBritannic.com would have surely written someting about it if there were anything known for sure. You're doing a fabulous job on your work though! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Hey Matthew and thank you for the kind words. I'm still rather new at this 3D rendering but I am learning something new everyday it seems.

Feb 21, 2005
Steve, you're more than welcome!!!
I find what you're doing fascinating. What program are you using to make these? The only thing I have any experience with is Paintbrush! I know that can't be what you're using for that!!
I'd love to learn how to do that kind of stuff myself.

Thanks and have a great evening!

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
The program is called 3D Design Suite, made by Broaderbund. I have had several "Dummy Architect 3D" programs but none as complex as this. Im thinking of graduating up to CAD.

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for the info! I might have to pick that up sometime and play around with it. It sure looks like it can do a lot. I've always been intersted in learning to do graphics like that but just never have found the time or the money to afford the program.

Tripp Carter

Dec 13, 1998
Steve, I'm blown away by the amount of detail you are able to put into your models using that program. I know with AS3000, there's only a generic set of panneling that can be used and anything beyond what is standard has to be self-designed in their 3D workshop. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this program, I think it might better suit my past attempt with Dining Saloon for Titanic. Keep up the amazing work, I look forward to seeing more!

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Thanks Tripp! The thing about the paneling is, I had to create the majority of it using several "Paint/Photoshop" programs to get the final paneling. I certainly have enough photographs of the Olympic's interior to create a fairly accurate Britannic model. Making the paneling is the most time consuming part of the process, because sometimes you have to go back and redo things once the final render is complete because things sometimes look odd. The greatest paneling challenge thus far is Britannic's proposed Grand staircase.

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hello all

First of all i'm 13 years old and from Holland so don't expect much from my English. I'm trying to recreate the Children's Playroom from the Britannic. If there is someone who got or owns the Boat Deck Interiorplan from the Britannic so i know what kind of stuf used to be inside it.

Thanx

Greetings Lars Noorman

Ps. Here's a photo from the room ( Not Finnished )
132934.jpg

Jul 12, 2005
Lars: Welcome to the ET message board. You might want to purchase the reprint of the Britannic booklet from THS (www.titanic1.org)that was released before the ship was taken over by the British government and turned into a hospital ship. I can't guarantee there's an artist's conception of the children's playroom, but I do believe there are artist's conceptions of other public rooms on the ship. Robert H. Gibbons

Jul 12, 2005
Lars: Perhaps someone reading this message board who has a copy of the THS Britannic brochure reprint would kindly look through it and post the names of the various rooms shown in it, and let us know if the children's playroom is shown. Robert H. Gibbons

Matt

Jan 2, 1998
Canada, Ontario
I'm sure everyone has see this in ANTR. They had it on the starboard side in the spot where the gymnasium was supposed to be so I flipped it. I don't know why they put it in the film; perhaps they were unable to recreate the gym or someone was reading the wrong plans! I don't know but I love that they put it in the film. I wish it had been on the Titanic; it was such a beautiful room. It does give everyone the chance to see something of the Britannic (if it had survived) come to life. I'm not sure if there would have been those paintings on the walls but the room looks spot on. It was of course a mirror image of the gymnasium.
titanic010.jpg

titanic010.jpg